SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I havent been on here in a while a yearish, ive been working on my boat, working in general pretty much just busy, the work continues and there is one thing that puzzles me. I own a contest 30 Mk1 designed by Uus Van Essen. I have looked at many pictures of the same boat but mine has these odd metal plates that i attached the photo of. there sort of an l shape bolted thru to the outside of the cabinhouse and extend below the deck a little bit and slot between the bulkhead and the deck for abpout four inches on one side and the other side the one pictured is not under a bulkhead but is also extending about four inces under the deck and are bolted thru the sides of the coachroof as you can see. Does anyone have an idea why theyre there. I thought maybe to stiffen the coachroof any other ideas. I have literally not seen a single copy of my boat or any other boat by contest with this odd metal plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
whats on the outside?

seems like reinforcing of some sort...maybe the cabintop creeks a bit(I had this happen on my folkboat) or there is some flex in the glass and the previous owner thought this might help...

it is not uncommon to reinforce the deck to hull joint or cabintop in areas where there is a lot of pressure...mast steps and beams come to mind as well as aft shrouds and attachment points that are only toed to the deck but NOT the hull...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it cant be reinforcing the hull to deck attachment because it isnt attached to the hull on the other side of the hull it is simply a flat massive phillips head sort of thing flush with the cabin, i assume there stiffeners, the cabintop doesnt creek to my knoweledge its super thick something i figured out when replacing dorades, but it isnt cored so that could explain it, maybe a previous owner thought it needed stiffening because its solid glass. this is sort of halfway between the buylkhead that supports the mast and the companionway closer to the companionway though. Its not really close enough to my aft shround for it to in any way effect that and the reinforcements are relatively in the middle of my doghouse windows you may be able to get the idea with a picture of my boat.

Attachments

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
Assuming those are the two big windows at the aft end of the cabin, it does look like there's something on the outside between the windows. It looks like this is a reinforcement for something that mounted there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If the boat was somewhere else other than Canada, one would think it might have held something to be used for entertainment inside the cabin .... any thoughts?

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
jaja,

I was just thinking out loud, many glass boats are reinforced in weird ways, some good some bad...

again whats on the outside?

those are big windows...maybe some sort of shutter tabs or mounts for shutters used in heavy wiether...those are usually found on the outside but YOU NEVER KNOW with previous owners huh?

I mentioned hull to deck joints and the shroudd reinforcements because they are very common...as are the beam reinforcements under deck mounted mast steps as are backing plates for big hardware...

solid glass is more flexible than heavy plwyood cored decks I know that for sure...so maybe something to that extent is whats going on!

more pics would be great...

good luck

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The boom brake is a possibility, I know my boat at one point has a dodger and somepoint in the future i plan to install a new one but not this year, i see it as nonessential but this is too far forward to have been part of that. It looks a little too beefy to be part of something holding up the speakers but as jurgy said we canadians dont have entertainment systems its because were too busy wrestling bears you know true north strong and free. Theres nothing really on the outside its situated in between the two large windows on both sides. Theres a flathead bolt on the outside with nothing attached to it. I personally am installing storm shutters made of plexiglass so that could be a possibility but with only one attachment point it doesnt seem likely. The decks are super thick they must weigh a ton when i Installed the dorade i was suprised to see how thick they are, i know these boats were layed up with alot of glass its around an inch thick layup where the thruhulls that i rebedded were. It does flex a tiny bit at the mast step when im sailing agressively the door is sticky but i installed two oak beams there. My best guess is it was a system to hypothetically orevent the cabintop from flexing., i know the boat was sailed in the ocean before because it had a us registration and i found some info by looking that up. so maybe somone was just modiftying it preventatively. i added a few photos of the plates, cant get any of the outsides though im out of the country for a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
They look as if they were added to strengthen where the bulkhead meets the deck. Looks like something that needs attention.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
there only a bulkhead on the starboard side i dont know if the photos show it but on the port side they rest in mid air because the bulkhead on port is further aft

·
Registered
792 Posts
Can you post a picture of the "flat massive phillips head sort of thing flush with the cabin" on the outside?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts