SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Fuzzy
17,132 Posts
I would not have thought so.. but then you haven't told us exactly what your "comfort level" requirement is and how much experience you have.

... and welcome to Sailnet. :)
Hartley old bean you are being a tadge harsh on the young fellow. In general I am no great fan of floating footpaths and we all know that what some builders did to Hartley's designs were sins against humanity but if you find a really good one they can and do make totally acceptable and very reasonably priced cruising sailboats.

Bugger all resale value of course but that is to be expected.

Did you know that Hartley also designed a vaguely acceptable wee trailor sailor ? Apparently a few hardy fools still sail them in Melbourne and Sydney before moving on to larger termite mounds.

·
Super Fuzzy
17,132 Posts
well what i realy want to know is if the hartley is a good safe boat to be on for a long time in open ocean and if it is not too cramped
CLI .... we are venturing into a discussion on the length of a piece of string. If, and I do emphasise the if, you were to find a well found Hartley of this type then there is absolutely no reason why you would not have a perfectly safe long distance cruising boat. The problem is that most Hartleys were amateur built often in very ordinary circumstances by amateurs who knew bugger all about boat building in general and even less about ferro but were sucked in by the hype about home building ferro boats. Ergo while there are diamonds in the rough there are also an awful lot of utter mongrels.

As for comfort ... the interior specs also varied according to the builder so again it is not possible to be specific but the interior of these things would be about average for a boat of its period which could be quite acceptable though not as roomy as e.g. a 21st century Beneteau.

How about some pics of the boat in question ?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.