SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just purchased an older 15' Designers Choice sailboat. It has a Main, a Jib, and a center board. I am looking for suggestions on a good book that will give me the basics to get started. My sailing experience is limited to a Sunfish many moons ago, so any suggestions would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
62 Posts

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
Royce's Sailing Illustrated is by for the best, most fun, most informative and most likely, cheapest book on sailing, on the market. I have been using it for more than 50 years to teach people the basics on through to things like anchoring and spinnaker rigging and handling. No preaching here, just good info laid out in a fun format.

Reactions: oysterman23

·
Registered
62 Posts
Royce's Sailing Illustrated is by for the best, most fun, most informative and most likely, cheapest book on sailing, on the market. I have been using it for more than 50 years to teach people the basics on through to things like anchoring and spinnaker rigging and handling. No preaching here, just good info laid out in a fun format.
I'd like to purchase this book, but there are so many variations. Can you give me the specific one you have?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Any reputable instruction book will work fine.

No one I know of has failed to learn to sail because they bought the 'wrong' book. They're all "good enough", I think, when you're starting out. More a matter of personal preference as to which one will serve you better as you get more advanced..

And once you get out and sail, with or without an instructor, you'll go back ashore and discover the book is "right"--who knew? ;-)

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
I'd like to purchase this book, but there are so many variations. Can you give me the specific one you have?
I have this one; "http://www.amazon.com/Sailing-Illustrated-Sailors-Bible-Since/dp/0930030257/ref=pd_sim_b_4/191-9863547-5384227?ie=UTF8&refRID=0557VNEFPQNMWWY071S6". I can't imagine spending over $60.00, so go for a used one. Also, Alibris has it; Royce's Sailing Illustrated: The Sailor's Bible Since 1956.

·
Administrator
5,924 Posts
Since the physics of sailing hasn't changed since, well, the first sailboat? Perhaps the focus on instructional books should be on how well the explanation and instruction is delivered.

·
Lake Hack
39 Posts
I work with an Aussie who is an engineer, sailed/raced for years as a youth, and owns a 40+ wishbone rigged Ketch. He is more of a sailor than I can imagine, and he recommended C A Marchaj's Sailing Theory and Practice. I'm not a moron, but I struggled with the content.

I got more from Frank Bethwaite's High Performance Sailing, as there's a great explanation of surface winds, very important for lake sailing.

Both books have more information than you need as a beginner, but are great reference material for deeper study of areas you need or want more knowledge.

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,016 Posts
I'll second/third Donna's suggestion of Sailing for Dummies. I really like the For Dummies books in general, and at one is well done. If you want something SLIGHTLY more advanced, try The Complete Sailor, Second Edition: David Seidman: 9780071749572: Amazon.com: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51WqtrgpTNL. I have the first edition (the link is to the 2nd edition). Every word of every page is informative, and there are LOTS of pictures to help you understand some of the topics.

Then there's the Annapolis Book of Seamanship. That's sort of the "Bible".

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
The Complete Sailor (what jimgo recommended) is what we use for the sailing classes at the Center for Wooden Boats. It's a great book, easy to read and full of good diagrams. I kept a copy aboard for the first year of sailing, and a copy at home to browse when I got back from a trip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Back in the late 70's, my favorite book was Hand, Reef, and Steer. If you're interested in reading a couple of books you can probably find the old "Hand, Reef, and Steer" for a buck or two....

Apparently there's a more recent book by the same name, and by a different author, which I'm not familiar with.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I second the post favoring The Annapolis School of Seamanship book.

Keep in mind, I'm not a seasoned sailor. The little I know comes from that book, youtube, and here. I particularly liked it because it takes nothing for granted. In the first few chapters, when it talks about the luff, the freeboard, or whatever.. it spells out what that is.

Other books I tried were nearly incomprehensible to the novice. A badly labeled "parts of a sailboat" illustration and then straight into the finer points of sail trim, referencing controls and techniques never explained or properly illustrated.

I did not buy sailing for dummies (probably should have!) or the basics of sailing, so I can't speak to them.

·
2,448 Posts
My wife and I took a class. What really helped us was they got us out on the water in the afternoon so what we learned in the classroom that morning clicked.

There's a lot of new language to learn with sailing. It helps a lot to get your boat out on a nice day with a light breeze and feel how she responds to what you do.

When you feel it, it all kind of clicks. If you go back and re-read sections after a sail it will all make sense.

Plus it's fun being out on the water :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts