Rough dimensions: foot 13.17', luff 23.1', leech 23.25'
Thanks.
Hal Nash
Waldport OR

Attachments

·
Freedom isn't free
2,971 Posts
Looks like the mylar crap I had on my Capri 25... exploded after 2 uses (of course it was likely 25+ yo). VERY light. Reinforced with poly as I recall.

·
Master Mariner
8,539 Posts
Looks like regular old Dacron to me.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
The sail would seem too old to be a mylar/polyester composite. Didn't they come into fashion in the 90's or so? The linked article posted above was written in 2004, and says Pineapple Sails opened 20 years earlier, in 1984. The article also says Van Heerecken got bought out a short while later, so his name would probably only appear on the very early sails from this loft. Wouldn't mylar be shinier, too? The OP's best bet would be to take it to a sailmaker and ask them. Pineapple Sails is still around, too. You could ask them: Pineapple Sails Sailmaker

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks fellows for all of the comments and suggestions/ideas. I might contact Pineapple Sails and see if they can help.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
My guess is some kind of early mylar. It is certainly not regular dacron, so what else could it be?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is what Pineapple Sails said about this sail: "Handle that sail with care-- it is an old one! The material was called Temperkote. It was one of the very earliest mylar laminates, with mylar film on one side and a light polyester taffeta on the other. In it's day it was a top-end racing fabric. ...at some point the clew was torn out of the sail, but it looks like it is still in one piece!"

So this sail is like what SchockT said... some kind of early mylar.

·
Administrator
9,163 Posts
For what it is worth, my 1985 Laser 28 came with mylar/polyester laminate genoa. that sail was toast after a couple seasons of racing. Synergy came with a woven Kevlar with Mylar skins heavy weather jib that was made around 1985 and I used for several years in the early 2000's. Eventually the skins came off but the sail remained pretty bulletprrof until I got caught in some very high winds (30-40 knots) that turned it to orange colored squares. Synergy still has a light-air genoa from the 1983-84 timeframe that is very light dacron luff area with a kevlar/mylar leech and foot panels that is a killer sail in extremely light winds but useless after around 5-8 knots since the polyester stretches so much. .

Jeff

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the comments regarding this sail.

At least it's not just "an old tablecloth."

If anyone is interested in this sail, let me know... I'll be liquidating it soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts