SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Shanachie, Bristol 30
70 Posts
Chart plotter. Sailing becomes just another way to spend your time staring at a computer screen in the 21st century. It becomes even worse when it evolves into a multifunction screen that gives you many more numbers and images to contemplate, when you should be enjoying the day. (That said, GPS is the best invention. It has saved many sailors on foggy, rainy days.)

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
... has enabled too many stinkpotters and landlubbers easy access to the water.....
And...
* GPS
* FRP
* radio
* polyester
* indoor plumbing...

Where will it end?

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
How about stuff that simply isn't worth carrying home from the store, not for free?

EZ SPLICE EZ Splice | West Marine

In this case a knot is faster, stronger, and can be untied. Useless at any price.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Chart plotter. Sailing becomes just another way to spend your time staring at a computer screen in the 21st century. It becomes even worse when it evolves into a multifunction screen that gives you many more numbers and images to contemplate, when you should be enjoying the day. (That said, GPS is the best invention. It has saved many sailors on foggy, rainy days.)
Nah, gizmos like chart plotters are not inherently bad... I'd say a lot of that stuff belongs more in the category of "Most Abused"...

Especially, when interfaced with an autopilot to a distant waypoint :)

On my "Most Abused" list, it's probably a toss-up between stern arches:

Nav-Pods...

and dinghy davits... :)

And last, but not least, one cannot forget the Honda 2000 Portable Generator :)

As for "Worst MARINE Invention" ever, I'd say few things rival the "Personal Watercraft"... Really takes something special, to spoil a day like this in the Exumas, for anyone else within earshot... :)

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
How about stuff that simply isn't worth carrying home from the store, not for free?

EZ SPLICE EZ Splice | West Marine

In this case a knot is faster, stronger, and can be untied. Useless at any price.
An excellent example... On my list would be the absurd variety of "Fender Hangers" that litter so many of the boat's I've run...

Sometimes, you've just gotta go with stuff that's so ridiculous purely on style points, alone...

Inflatable life vests in Leopard Print or Tiger Stripes, anyone?

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
complicated electrical panels...

I like some of jons references too

anything that reads straight from a catalog too

last I read people were arguing about what fender hooks to buy!

thought a knot would be simple enough BUT NO!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.