SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a '81 pearson 32 and was wondering if anyone had an idea of what this is in the picture. It is on imbedded in the keel. I have seen other pearson's of the same age with the same plate. It measures appprox 12" x 12".
Could it be a grounding plate. All the thru hulls and chain plate have ground wires on them and they seem to lead to the keel bolts.

Lets get out the thinking Caps.

Peter

·
560 Posts
Get yourself a flicker or photobucket account. Upload the picture and paste the link into your reply using this button:

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
You need to use the IMG code or right-click the photo, copy the image location and then paste it into the box and delete everything after the ".jpg" when clicking the photo link icon

BTW, no idea... have you tried peeling that away. The rust streaks are likely a bad sign. Is it an iron keel??

·
99% landlubber, 1% sailor
140 Posts
perhaps a patch has been welded on??
-or maybe that's where the gold bullion is stored? :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't believe it is an iron keel. I have seen the same plate on another Pearson, it was in better condition but same exact size and location. I have downloaded a owners manual and there is no mention of this or that they used an iron keel.

I guess we will see what the surveyor says.

Peter

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,332 Posts
(Guess #1) Access port from / for replacing the Keel Bolts.
(Guess #2) Torpedo tube outer door

·
Registered
116 Posts
It would appear to be an iron plaque in the shape of the state of Ohio.

I have one on my boat, but it's in the shape of Kentucky.

Best Regards,

e

.::.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts