SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
midlife crisis member
975 Posts
That device goes on the boom for the boom sheeting. It think it's for roller reefing on the boom so that the mainsail can be rolled onto the boom?

·
19,489 Posts
That, my friend, is a vang/mainsheet fitting for an old roller reefing main.... the fitting fits over the boom, shackle down, with the rollers resting on the "shoulders" of the boom section. When you cranked the handle to reef the main by turning the boom and rolling the main around it, the fitting's rollers allowed all that while still providing vang/sheeting ability with the reefed sail!

Don't see them around much anymore, no one really uses this type of reefing system with slab/jiffy reefing being so much easier/faster to use.

Edit... dammit, Thumbs, beat me to it:p :)

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Good job guys! That one had me completely stumped. ' learned something tonight.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
I knew that.....I used to have one in fact......worst reefing system known to man.....many moons ago now.....

So Thumbs and Faster are obviously as ancient as a certain fuzzy rodent and Pollard is barely out of nappies. :eek:

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
LOL! I will have to admit to seeing them in the past and I was real close to knowing what it was used for. I guess that makes me a Fuzzypollard!

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Unfortunately, the boom roller reefing system that type of fitting goes with was usually really bad at giving anything resembling decent shape to the sail when reefed. One improvement that was often made was to add wedges to the boom so that the reefed sail would have better shape.

IMHO, you're better off with a fixed boom and using slab reefing, which many of those who owned that type of boom roller reefing switched to as an upgrade.

·
Registered
329 Posts
That fitting was mostly used for vangs. Usually the mainsheet was run to a fitting at the end of the boom that was designed to rotate.

In order to get a better shape after reefing, it was common practice to throw a towel or two into strategic places while reefing. Had to be a little careful when "shaking" out the reef :)

But one of the first things I did when I got my current boat (an Allied Mistress) was to convert the main to slab reefing. Like many before me, I think that was a MAJOR improvement..

·
Registered
511 Posts
The usual name for that gadget is a roller reefing claw. And I agree with those who remember roller reefing -- it was awful.

·
Registered
329 Posts
There was a time when I would have paid a premium for one of those. I had just bought a boat with a roller furling system and there was no claw included. You might think of retrieving it and contacting one of the second hand places (or ebay)

·
Registered
660 Posts
You guys don't know SQUAT! That my friends is a R.O.D. Don't keep confusing these poor people.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Thanks everyone, I threw it away.
Never, I mean never, throw away anything boat-related. This is a bad precedent to set. Wives must be made to understand that all boat-related hardware, gadgets, pieces, parts electronics, debris, etc., no matter how much room they take up in the garage, basement or master bedroom, just might be the thing that saves their child's life one day.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Reef.

Yes, I kept the shackle of course.

To me, living on such a small boat, there is no better feeling than throwing away unnecessary accessories. I don't have another home to store things in, I can hardly keep an extra anchor on board.

If it comes to the point where I need to use an emergency backup reefing system to replace my manual slab reefing, I'll call it quits anyways

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Dang. And I thought it was a roller skate for people who are really good at doing hand stands.

Hey,

Is this a preventer of sorts? Any idea how to rig whatever this is?

Thanks,

Ben

·
19,489 Posts
Dang. And I thought it was a roller skate for people who are really good at doing hand stands.
Get Sideyb to dig it out of the trash and show us how that's done!:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts