SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would post a picture but I can't seem to make it work. (97 kb!!!! max file size... Are you kidding???) Can someone help me post some photos?

The object is fiberglassed to the bottom of the hull. It is a red threaded cap with a wire pull tab in the center. I can't unscrew it and I can't pull the center cap free either. An inspection of the outer hull does not show ANY evidence of a thru hull. I have NO idea what it may be. BTW there are no wires or electrical components to speak of so I do not believe it is a transducer. There is also a similar one in the other hull (catamaran)???:confused: :confused: :confused:

Obviously a picture is worth a thousand words but unless I can find a way of compressing a 4 MB file down below 97kb and not have it look like a pixelated mess...I'm out of luck.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
you need to post it to photo bucket then link it here or email it to me and i will post it. i just sent you a pm with my email if you want to do it that way

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
maybe that's how they lifted the hull out of the mold

What kind of cat is this and how big

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
what kind of boat is it? is it cored?

they are most certainly not in the original glass lay up. i wonder if they a point for pumping in an expanding foam. ie you take 2 hull molds one as the inner and one as the out then pump in a 2 part expanding foam to "core" the hull. or it maybe a vacuum port for when they put the outer and inner in with a core coated in resin then sucked em together

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
It would really help if you said what make/model boat you had.

·
ex-Navy
224 Posts
Unknown Object

Looks like its a plug that fills the hole where the speedo transducer ( little paddlewheel thingee) went. Have something just like that but the cap isn't red. Unless you sail all the time, the speedo transducer gets fouled and you have to pull it and clean it to get a reading. Before GPS I got really quick at pulling the transducer and replacing it with the plug and vice versa. Idea was not to sink my boat. Now I get my speed from the GPS and have put the plug in permanently and glassed over the hole in the bottom.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yep, that's the speedo plug. You remove the white insert and then insert the speedo when you want to measure boat speed through the water (instead of over the ground from your gps). It has not been glassed over, but added or repaired after the boat was built. I see some wires in the picture. Do any wires connect to a plug similar in size to the white plug, but have a paddle wheel at the bottom? You can change between the blank plug and the speedo with the boat in the water. Just use a towel or something to soak up the spill.

·
19,489 Posts
Definitely a plug for a Signet speed/knotmeter transducer. The red cap should turn out 1/4 turn or so and the plug lifts straight out. (it's O-ring sealed). Be sure to be ready to put it or a replacement back in in a hurry, you'll be amazed how much water tries to come up that little 1" hole!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Also...These types of openings, when under high pressure, have been shown to be an effective preventive backdoorifice when squatted over in a conscientiously applied program of regular (well, anal really) and professional care.

Sorry :eek: , it's a gene flaw.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To answer a few questions..

She is a Stiletto 27' The boat is nomex cored but where this plug is located is just solid glass/epoxy.

If it is a speedo plug, there is no outside hull evidence. Not even a subtle ridge or anything. Someone must have done a DAMN fine job of feathering out a thru hull patch. Also, there is an identical plug to this one in the other hull. If it is a speedo.... why two? It unscrews partially but runs out of threads and still doesn't lift out or loosen.

Bottom line question... I'm doing a major refit. Is this something I should remove or just let it be? I don't like the idea of thru hulls that may or may not still be able to leak.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Faster,

It appears you are correct sir.... I googled the transducer and it is a dead ringer for what I got in my hull. That means there is a hidden thru hull there:eek: The hull looks very well patched on the outside (no evidence at all) but I should probably investigate further. BTW still curious why there are two???:confused:

·
Registered
295 Posts
If one was the knot log the other one was for probably for a depth transducer?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, after some physical persuasion I was able to rip the center plug out of the thru hull. I'm VERY VERY glad I asked what the plugs were because only 2wimpy rotted o rings held back h2o from a 1" hole. They had likely been there a LONG time as the barrier coat was over them (hence not seeing any evidence of a thru hull for the outside) but they were NOT patched with FG.:eek: So now I need to post a new question. How does one remove an old thru hull???

one was for probably for a depth transducer?
No, I already removed the fiberglassed in kitchen bowl filled with 30 year old mineral oil, disintegrating plastic transducer and a whole lot of funk.:puke

·
Registered
418 Posts
Being that it's not a heavy displacement hull, I'd consider installing new 'O' rings in the caps. The surrounding area looks strong and those caps are probably factory installed and have worked just fine for years.

Add: That is if the caps have retained their locking feature.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts