Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone identify what this is?

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I tried to delete and start over with a correct title, no go.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Sorry, Bene. It's a very sensitive NSA device used to detect terrorists. If I told you any more I'd have to shoot you.

(OK, as you're a Sailnet mate, I'll tell you. Don't tell anyone, but it looks like the antenna for a MOB Alert system).

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, so I acually don't know. The previous owner was a bank, and I'm sure they don't know what it is.

I've actually been trying to track down the real previous owner, no luck so far. Whoever he was, he took good care of the interior, and started upgrades to the shore power system before he decided to put her up for sale. There are unconnected 110v outlets all over. And there was a stripped 10 foot wire on the shorepower inlet. (Glad I saw that before I touched it. It was hooked up at the time.)

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'll ask the rigger during the inspection I'm planning this spring. I can also check the connector on the wire coming down inside the mast. I've been doing a bunch of wire-following lately. Pretty interesting actually, very neat layout and labeling behind the main panel.

·
Registered
474 Posts
SATCOM Antenna

Bene,
My boat came with a Satelite radio system and this is the antenna on the stern rail (on the right)

It looks a lot like what you have up on your mast. The radio looks like this;

The PO told me the radio died about 7 or 8 years ago and they have discontinued the satelite service altogether. I intend to remove both, but have not had time yet, only had the boat a year (LOL).

Behind my electrical panel it looks like this:

Very neat and easy to trace, but I would not say it is particularly labeled well. But it sure is nice when the previous owner (in this case the orginal owner of the boat) really does things well and takes care of it. It sets a good example.

:D :eek:

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL Looks like we need a thread on "show me the backside of your electrical panel".

Our boat has Siruis capable stereo. Maybe it's for that. If it is an antenna for a system that's no longer in service, perhaps I can mount something else in it's place.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to the boat shortly. I'll see about getting a picture of the connector on the end of the antenna cable, to see if we can solve this mystery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts