SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so there's a white cylindrical thing on the inlet hose to each head. That's right, the one side goes to the seacock and then to the through-hull. The other side goes to the Jabco head.

It has a screw cap on the top, that opens to a small compartment that doesn't go anywhere. The may be for holding fragrence or something, since it doesn't seem to connect with the hoses going in or out.

What is it?!?

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what it says. I'll have to check later this week.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
It's probably a dispenser of some sort for some head treatment chemical.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Bene,

We have the same unit on our head. It is an in-line treatment system, that helps to reduce odors in the toilet and holding tank. The top unscrews and then you drop a large, cylindrical tablet into the cartridge. Intake water passes through the cartridge on the way to the toilet bowl. The tablet turns the water bluish, just like those tablets you might use in your toilet at home.

The replacement tablets are sold at chandleries like WM, but I am blanking out on the product name. Something like "Waste Treatment Tablets". They are packaged in a small white nondescript box. They are a bit pricey, so I don't replace ours as often as I should.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You gentlemen make sense, and that looks like the thing. The only lingering doubt is that the chamber doesn't look like it connects with the intake water. That is, unless there's a small hole in there somewhere. (And I think that there was such a tablet on the boat.)

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
You gentlemen make sense, and that looks like the thing. The only lingering doubt is that the chamber doesn't look like it connects with the intake water. That is, unless there's a small hole in there somewhere. (And I think that there was such a tablet on the boat.)
Yeah, it looks kind of funny in there when you take the lid off. It appears like a sealed chamber, but somehow the water passes through it. I think the design limits the amount of pass through water that contacts the tablet, so that it doesn't dissolve too quickly.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
10 points each for SD, John and Cam! Thanks gentlemen.

·
19,489 Posts
My question is: does it work? If so then it's worth whatever it may cost to avoid that horrendous "sulfurous disused head" syndrome :(

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Generally, at least according to the Head Mistress, Peggie Hall, using chemicals makes the problem worse, since the chemicals usually have a bad side effect of killing off the bacteria needed to process the waste.

Not flushing with salt water is a good start to prevent head odors, since the life-forms in salt water die off and decay, causing what is often mistaken for head waste odors.

Venting the tank well is also helpful, since the "stinky" bacteria are anaerobic, and the good bacteria are aerobic—increasing the air flow through the holding tank helps promote the good bacteria and reduce the stink-producing ones.

My question is: does it work? If so then it's worth whatever it may cost to avoid that horrendous "sulfurous disused head" syndrome :(

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
While winterizing on a cold day, I snapped the hose barb off the thing. Now I need to order another one.

It's not the Head-O-Matic Tank-ette. Anyone know where to look for a replacement?

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
22,372 Posts
I would ditch it Bene. Putting chemicals into your holding tank, ain't cool. First, it ruins the good bacteria needed for breaking down waste and removing odor. Most focus on odor, but breaking down waste allows you to empty a holding tank easier and more completely. The real kicker for me (and I'm not the biggest tree hugger) is pumping those chemicals back into the ocean or even to a treatment plant ashore. Human waste will breakdown, I'm not so sure about those chemicals.

Reactions: joethecobbler

·
Old as Dirt!
3,486 Posts
While winterizing on a cold day, I snapped the hose barb off the thing. Now I need to order another one.

It's not the Head-O-Matic Tank-ette. Anyone know where to look for a replacement?

Regards,
Brad
Bene--The unit is an "Earth Safe" in-line head treatment dispenser originally made by "Fore'n Aft". Unfortunately, they have been discontinued for some time. The Earth Safe Tablets supposedly consisted of an Enzyme based Treatment material in a soluble gel. Whether they worked very well or not is debatable. You can pretty easily make one with some PVC pipe fittings cobbled together although, again, whether they work or not or are any better than simply adding a squirt or two of a solution of HeadZyme and water to the bowl--and pumped to your holding tank--from a bottle kept in the head is, again, debatable.

FWIW...

Reactions: Bene505

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
a. Replace it with a hose barb.

b. or replace it with a tee and valve and you will never have to separate hoses again and winterizing will take only minutes. Boats should come equipped with winterizing valves.

Sail Delmarva: Easier Winterizing

(the inlet filter is optional--there is a lot of sea grass some places I sail)

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bene--The unit is an "Earth Safe" in-line head treatment dispenser originally made by "Fore'n Aft". Unfortunately, they have been discontinued for some time. The Earth Safe Tablets supposedly consisted of an Enzyme based Treatment material in a soluble gel. Whether they worked very well or not is debatable. You can pretty easily make one with some PVC pipe fittings cobbled together although, again, whether they work or not or are any better than simply adding a squirt or two of a solution of HeadZyme and water to the bowl--and pumped to your holding tank--from a bottle kept in the head is, again, debatable.

FWIW...
Thanks!

Found this on their website
This head-chemical unit dispenses a biodegradable compound to clean and lubricate your head and hoses with each flush, leaving a smooth, stain-resistant coating behind that helps control debris buildup. Tablets last about 30 days for liveaboards and much longer for weekenders. The dispenser can be installed in any position, anywhere in the 3/4'' pump inlet hose. Dispenser comes with one introductory tablet.
discontinued
a. Replace it with a hose barb.

b. or replace it with a tee and valve and you will never have to separate hoses again and winterizing will take only minutes. Boats should come equipped with winterizing valves...
I think the same thing every fall. It would be great to put a tee in there.

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
690 Posts
I installed one on our previous cs. W/ salt water flush we quickly developed a mineral deposit all around the bowl. When we converted to fresh water flush the deposits stopped. Don't think it did a thing for tank odor.
Needless to say it's not on this boat.
Jim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts