SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is gonna probably be a dumb question to some, but I found this in a cabinet in my Islander 32. The black knob screws so I assume that something goes inside the tube and the knob secures it. Is this for thru hull fittings?
Thanks for all your help!

Attachments

·
Senior Moment Member
13,289 Posts
Flagstaff holder with a sawn off flagstaff?

Reactions: mitiempo

·
Freedom isn't free
3,057 Posts
What Sloop Said...

Also, and or, grill post... same deal. But most of those just clamp onto a stern rail.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
The wooden part looks like something that might plug into a rod holder. The metal part might be used to support a flag/burgee, anchor light, or whatever, but it is doubtful that it would be secure enough to safely hold a grill.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Personally I feel you have a "Thang" not a "thingy". So you should re word your question to the appropriate part name, Ie "Thang!"

In the mean time, I will maybe sorta kinda agree with the above. Probably something that had to do with a flagstaff at one time.

marty

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
I have one of those too. I don't have any idea what it's for either, except that mine was made for the Southern Hemisphere. Yours is obviously one made for the Northern Hemisphere. Note how yours leans to the right, while mine (see below) leans to the left.

Attachments

·
Registered
847 Posts
Mounted on the same background too. Must have been an international manufacturer.

·
3,506 Posts
The SS base piece is off a Force 10 BBQ, minus the two half moon shaped black plastic rail clamps. The picture shown is actually upside down from how it is used to support my BBQ. A small SS post on the BBQ fits inside that SS pipe, the black screw knob adjusts a set screw into the post.

My guess is some enterprising sailor turned it into a mount for a multi directional, MKII eyeball sighted, zombie killing spud gun.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Good to see that some enterprising sailors can multi purpose the stuff around them. It's obviously custom made to hang his cowboy hat after a hard day roundin' up doggies .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts