SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Pearson 367 Cutter last year. There was this setup on the foredeck. It was holding down the staysail stay. But, why so much line and blocks on the rig? What is this used for? I've attached a photo of the rigging.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Looks like a Boom Vang. The saddle might fit at the base of the mast near the collar...

People often use them as preventers.
I'm guessing that you'd need to take the collar off to use it as a preventer..
Rigging a proper preventer would be better

·
Barquito
3,734 Posts
Well, I think since JBallou said it was holding down the staysail stay, that is probably what it was used for. The question is, what are the blocks and line for? My guess is that they wanted to be able to tension and/or release the rig from the cockpit?

·
Registered
5 Posts
JonEisberg has it right. It is for tensioning the removable inner forestay when it is removed. Otherwise, it slaps against the mast or spreaders. The U-shaped fixture at the top is to give a gradual bend to the forestay so you don't damage the wire. Great to have if you are using the genoa and tacking to windward. Getting the genny around the inner forestay is a challenge.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Had a similar setup for my yankee forestay (had three jibs) When out of the way a hyfield mounted at the anchor winch kept it taut. When deployed at the end of the 12 foot bowsprit the Hyfield was a down haul for tension. Yankee was always hanked on and ready to deploy as wind picked up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts