SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
The white one appears to be an electric Whale brand water pump, either bilge, freshwater or icebox drain. The red one is a transducer, I'm gonna guess a speed transducer 'cause it appears to have a handle to aid in removal for cleaning.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Second what Capttb said and would point out that your wiring in the bilge seems to be less than up to spec.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
Definitely a speed transducer. The top of the spare plug is visible. They are usually forward of the keel so that the water flow is less disturbed.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
Should that pump have double hose clamps at each end, if it is below the waterline? I do not see how you would get 2 on.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I usually like to double clamp all hoses, the only way on that pump would be to use a couple SS clamps that are not so wide. It would be helpful to know where its coming from and going too, whether it is on the bilge side or fresh water side

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Jackdale—

I doubt that pump is a raw water pump.... it is probably in the fresh water pressure system or for something like an icebox/refrigerator drain or shower sump, and likely not going to sink the boat even if the hoses come off.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The electrical is very sketchy on the entire boat, that is one of my biggest projects. The pump is inline with the fresh water supply and the sink, I have never used the water system but am guessing it pressurizes the sink water? You can clean the speed transducer while the boat is in the water from the top access point? Thanks for the help.

John

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
You can clean the speed transducer while the boat is in the water from the top access point? Thanks for the help.

John
Yes you can. On newer boats there is a baffle that stifles some of the water flow. Regardless, after you unscrew and pull the transducer, put the replacement plug in and and tighten it. You will get water, but your bilge pump will handle it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
your bilge pump will handle it.
about that... I better have someone on deck pumping... or a nice size bucket next to me. I was surprised to find no electric bilge pump in the bilge of my boat. As in there was never one installed, and no real means to install one without tons of work. We have a basic manual bilge, but the hose run is at least 15 feet. No electrical within 5 feet of the bilge. I would have to cut a hole in the boat for a pump out... Stupid. I need to do so much work on my boat =) This thread is for a later day. Thanks.

John

·
Registered
184 Posts
If those hoses are for a pressurized fresh water system, they will almost certainly leak. I found that out two summers ago after a lot of trial and error (mostly error) and a long conversation with a knowledgable boat-plumbing-guy. You need reinforced hose or the barbs will always leak. I changed mine and haven't lost a drop since.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The fresh water system looks like it has not been used for a long time. I am sure it will be another project. I am slowly trying to get the boat into shape. Thanks for the tip on the hose. I am almost certain that the pump is for pressurized water at the sink.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Really? Like it is dangerous? Should I remove it, change it out, take action of some kind? Now you have me nervous.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The Whale in line booster is disigned to run in the pipe between the water supply line and the outlet..If it is used for any other purpose as for as other liquids....other than clean cold or cool water .....it is the users reponsibilityto ensure the materials are fully compatible with the liquid to be used

not to be used on black water .......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts