1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
999 Posts
Don't want to reignite the feasibility of $500/month cruising debate again but I find it funny that "an economical way to travel" is given as a motivation for cruising.

·
Master Mariner
9,187 Posts
I can't imagine what else I'd do at this age. A condo in Fla doesn't appeal, nor does being a couch potato in some snow covered fairyland. I haven't lived in a house since 1969, so I wouldn't have a clue how to buy a house, nor how to maintain one. I've always enjoyed sleeping in my own bed, on real sheets, no matter where I am in the world, and a few mod cons are nice in one's old age.

Reactions: LilBabyPenguin

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Why pick one? What an inane poll! I could check all of these and add fun, excitment, novelty, pleasure, escape, and independance!
This is as stupid as asking if you like lemon pie or roller skating.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Why pick one? What an inane poll! I could check all of these and add fun, excitment, novelty, pleasure, escape, and independance!
This is as stupid as asking if you like lemon pie or roller skating.
Yup, I've gotta agree with that...

However, it does speak volumes, that none of the options make any reference to SAILING...

:)

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
It doesn't need to. It's asking why do you sail. I sail because I sail?
I thought the question was regarding one's motivation for "Cruising", no?

The same poll could legitimately be posted on the Passagemaker forum, and the same reasons could apply for those cruising under power, primarily aboard trawlers...

"Cruising" and "Sailing" often have little to do with each other, and Sailing is obviously a low priority among many I see out there Cruising aboard sailboats...

NTTAWWT, of course... :)

·
3,506 Posts
The sailing part is pretty cool too...

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Don't want to reignite the feasibility of $500/month cruising debate again but I find it funny that "an economical way to travel" is given as a motivation for cruising.
For sailboat cruising. You wouldn't find it funny if you had ever owned a power cruiser. My twin inboard cruiser burned more fuel in a day than my sailboat burns in a year. :D

In a powerboat, fuel costs so overwhelm every other expense, that they are almost not even worth mentioning.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
"Cruising" and "Sailing" often have little to do with each other, and Sailing is obviously a low priority among many I see out there Cruising aboard sailboats...

NTTAWWT, of course... :)

I just don't understand this. I was sitting in the cockpit this morning watching the boats head off south from Bequia, most likely bound for Tobago Cays or Union Island. Skies are clear wind is a pleasant 15 kts and it will be a dead downwind run to the point then a beam reach south.

CONDITIONS DO NOT GET MUCH BETTER THAN THIS FOLKS!

Watched two cruising type sail boats head off with the main sail covers still on and no sails hoisted as far as I watched them which was to the point, about two miles.

The boat motion will be better with sails up, things go quiet when the donk is switched off and best of all you don't burn dead dinos.

Like I said, I just do not understand why some people buy boats with sails.

Mind you having watched the trawlers roll in some anchorages I guess a boat with a keel and some pendulum stability will have it's attractions.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
We are out cruising and we try to sail everywhere we can. I got into cruising because I am a sailor. As for cheap way to travel, we are living on under $3,000 a month and are very comfortable. We spend as much time in one place as we like and the majority of our costs is food. We do not skimp on quality food. We also have full coverage on our boat and we have world wide health insurance.

Where else can you travel for a month on $3,000?

Sitting in a warm dry cabin in Chester, NS on a rainy day.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Was out cruising full time for 5 years. We now cruise about 50% of the time or so. We are on a sail boat and do try to sail most of the time.......

BUT, I have to say “IF” you are going cruising for, “a carefree life” OR an “uncomplicated life”, you don't know cruising.

With actual navigating, BOTH on the water and the foreign rules of checking in and out, keeping up all the systems to be safe. And all it takes to get from place to place, keep an eye on the weather, and keep up with required contact back home, IT JUST AINT ALL THAT SIMPLE AND UNCOMPLICATED!

I can say that the time we spend at our land base is a lot easier.

BUT SURE IS A GOOD LIFE! :D

Greg

·
Old soul
5,119 Posts
A fun discussion. We have been seasonal cruisers the past seven years and are slowly transitioning to full-timers. The poll hits on most of my reasons: freedom, exploration, adventure, simplicity. One area missing, and that motives me, is the attraction of living with a smaller ecological and political footprint. While living on a cruising sailboat I can have a smaller impact on the planet, both environmentally and politically/socially. This is also an important motivator for my partner and I.

... although it's mostly about freedom ;).

·
Frozen Member
565 Posts
Yup, I've gotta agree with that...

However, it does speak volumes, that none of the options make any reference to SAILING...

:)
Good point. I was looking for the option of only being happy in a boat, on the water, sailing... anything like that. But nothing.

I boat because I love boats and the water. Doesn't matter the kind, being on the water is what matters. This was the next logical step for my wife and I and our boating obsessed life we seem to lead.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts