SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i just bought an Ericson26' i think lol, um the titel says 25' 9"
theres a switch controll board that says Ericson 26.
looking online thru sailboat data and found it but she is labiled as an Ericson 26 (CREALOCK) the pic is exat same. she has a engine well off the back, and the bilge is "v" shaped, i have no idea what the keel looks like (its winter, waters too cold). the tittle also says 1969. but other then that page i cant seem to find any other way to ver thats right, theres no HIN anywhere, but on the title.

·
19,489 Posts
hello, i just bought an Ericson26' i think lol, um the titel says 25' 9"
theres a switch controll board that says Ericson 26.
looking online thru sailboat data and found it but she is labiled as an Ericson 26 (CREALOCK) the pic is exat same. she has a engine well off the back, and the bilge is "v" shaped, i have no idea what the keel looks like (its winter, waters too cold). the tittle also says 1969. but other then that page i cant seem to find any other way to ver thats right, theres no HIN anywhere, but on the title.
Sounds like it's an early E26, alright.. looks very different from the standard Ericson look, not being a King design - but even the Holland Ericsons have that same recognizabe look on deck.

Remember the first time I saw one of the old 26s, had no idea it was an Ericson until I asked..

·
Registered
167 Posts
The HIN should be on the aft starboard top corner. If you can't find it on the boat, what is on the title?
If the boat is that old it may not have a HIN. The title could easily be wrong as well. My C27 was listed as a '74, but after finding no HIN, just a plate with a serial number I contacted Catalina. Turns out she is a '72.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The early Erickson 26 was the first US Built design by WIB Crealock. I owned one many years ago. I spoke to Bill about this boat back in the early 90's and he had a lot to say about it being his first. The boat had a really interesting keel design that made it good to weather, but at his own admission, a failure for Southern California waters as it was a kelp magnet. After Erickson brought in Bruce King to redisign the the 26, Excaliber Yachts bought the hull molds for the Crealock Erickson 26. The cabin trunk of the Excaliber was far more appealing, but did not offer the headroom or interior space of the Ericson. The Erickson 26 had a lot of room below for a late 60's early 70's era boat, but had very little deck room and difficult to walk about and almost impossible to mount a dodger with enough room to walk forward.

I also owned an Excaliber for a short time (bought on the dock from a kid who could not afford slip payments) and enjoyed sailing it more than the Ericson 26 for daysails, but the Ericson 26 was comfortable for weekend Catalina trips.

They were built very well, and even though the keel was truly a fin keel, it was laid up like a full keel boat and very deep bilges.

Crealock spoke for a long time and sent full size drawings of the boat along with everything else he had at the time, and was truly great to talk to, and was pretty proud and humble regarding that boaat. So, you can say that you have one of the original Crealocks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts