SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Sailnet experts,
we need to replace the halyards, main, spare, and jib as they're pretty worn out. The snap shackle opened on the jib while sailing, and when I used the spare halyard to hoist up the jib again, it basically fell apart internally (though it still held).

The boat is a 40' Freedom 40/40 with a 62' CF unstayed mast and a fractional rig, located in Narragansett Bay and used in coastal cruising. The main is big and heavy (~150 lbs with 6 battens) and it takes quite a lot of effort to haul it up the last couple of feet. The jib is small, hanked on, and has a heavy 'camberspar' threaded through near the foot and 3 battens. I'm pretty sure the current halyards are 'normal' 1/2 line, but could be 9/16 (will measure once I get back to the boat).

My question is, what is the best combination of performance and price for halyard line these days? The options at WM include Dyneema, Amsteel, Endura, mixes etc. but I'm not sure whether the latest high-strength lines are what we need and justify the extra cost. I figure we need about 150' for the main, and perhaps 80' for the jib. The current main halyard could become the spare, I guess. What is the economical, but sound, solution here?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
If you're cruising, not racing, and you're not using racing ails and you're not worried about a bit of stretch, then look at VPC from New England Ropes for your halyards. 10mm or 11mm will do nicely, but check to see what size line your clutches are set up to accommodate. Depending on the clutch, you may be able to change the parts to change the line size. Also, don't bother stripping.

You mentioned that the main is "big and heavy" and you have trouble hosting it. Assuming there is no problem making the hoist difficult, you may want to consider a 2:1 reduction for the main halyard. It puts more line in the cockpit and, of course, costs a bit more, but it will help you get that sail up. You'll use a special shackle, like a Tylaska H8 or maybe an H12 (not sure which for your boat).

Now if you were racing, that would be an entirely different recommendation.

I have found Vella Sailing Supply in Texas has great prices, free shipping and Ron is very knowledgeable.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
If you have rope clutches anywhere, check the size ranges they will accommodate. Otherwise, some folks will prefer a thicker "weaker" line simply because the thicker line makes it easier to grab and haul, and per foot it may not be any heavier or more costly than a "better" thinner line.
If you are not racing, there's no need to spend top dollar for the lightest strongest line, when there are so many others that will do the job at lower prices.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts