• Retired

Votes: 17 20.0%
  • Other

Votes: 11 12.9%
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I had a chance to retire early with a pension and I took it, and I took a cruise. I used savings to buy my boat.

I'm working right now, because family commitments prevent me from returning to where I want to be so bad, for a while longer. :D

·
Sailing newbie
18 Posts
I traded a Chinese 4 wheeler I had got for free that had been in a fire, for my '78 Chrysler Pirateer C13, and that costs me $5 to sail on the state lake 4 miles from my house.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I afforded it when i had NOTHING with some crappy garage sale 11' dingy and was happy and content

I afford it with more than i could have ever dreamed of making with a 1970 29' boat and am still happy and content

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
I love to teach and I love to sail. The retirement plan was to teach sailing.

Become an instructor 11 years before I retired and built up my credentials, experience and network.

·
Crealock 37
676 Posts
LMAO!!!

You think I can afford to do this? Naw, I just do it because life is too short to care about the little stuff….I'm going to have fun while I can.

I retired at 45 with an okay pension, work part-time to help defray the cost of the boat. The wife is an RN and also works part-time. (The part-time part lets us spend more time on the boat).

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Navy disability and occasional marine repair work I am a a certified shipwright sometimes I barter my services for gadgets I want and supplies I need.

·
Master Mariner
9,055 Posts
For 40 odd years people paid me to operate their vessels. Between jobs operating vessels, I used my experience to maintain and repair boats.
When it came time to retire, not having any experience living in a house, it only seemed natural to buy a boat and go cruising. I took about half my money and bought an annuity which covers all my living and boat expenses. Pretty neat; a fixed income for the rest of my life, guaranteed.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,073 Posts
I checked manufacturing, but I'm really IT in Manufacturing... You'd be amazed how much computer equipment a manufacturing environment uses these days. Between PLCs, mobile fork trucks, bar coding equipment, etc.

Yes manufacturing company IN the USA, making products here, sold everywhere, including China... we're one of the few on the opposite side of that trade imbalance.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
"I'm from the Government and I'm here to help you" Retired, so I only "help you" if I feel like it now.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,290 Posts
In answer to the title question - I don't. :D

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
I am so broke I can't afford to buy wind for my sails....

I am a manufacturing technician Instructor, I teach CNC programming, set up and operation, QCI and CAD/CAM. I also have a small dental office maintenance/repair business which is my boat money, that's the plan (doesn't always work that way).

Sailing doesn't cost much.... it's the damn boat that does.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Looks like I have the best deal going here - I'm a full-time musician/singer/entertainer, yes it's a real job, I'm paid very well, and I can work everyplace I sail to. I sing to the ladies at the marinas, tiki bars, marina restaurants, and nite clubs, plus do hundreds of senior events every year. I'm an old codger, and some folks on this forum think I'm milking the system because of my age, but what they Hell do they know. Yes, I collect social security, plus a small pension that I created for myself as a small business person. I still work 5 to 7 days a week, and sail when I can, but retirement is probably a year or so away at age 73 and counting. When that time comes, when I can no longer perform, I'll spend a lot more time cruising and less time working. ;)

Cheers,

Gary :cool:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts