SailNet Community banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Dirt Free
2,654 Posts
My preference is for fixed units. I have never bought new electronics.. I have purchased radars (plural), chartplotters (plural), fishfinders (plural) autopilots (plural) and a backup camera for all my boats from Ebay at a fraction of the numbers being tossed around here and never had an issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Hey,

You're about $9000 too high.

You can get top a quality plotter for under $1000. You can get a nice one for $500.

The B&G Vulcan 7 is $700, Garmin Echomap 6" is under $500. Add charts and maybe you're at $600

Barry
MFD is different than a chart plotter. MFD = multi function display i would assume it would add GPS, Sounder, Radar, AIS, there might even be other things an MFD can show, I am guessing an MFD with all the bells and whistles will add up.

My primary GPS is a Garmin 76 my primary backup is an older Samsung pad with cheap software. No question if I had a boat I could do some serious cruising on I would invest in a sub $1000 plotter you have mentioned.

·
11,748 Posts
Barry is pretty close, certainly 10K is way too much

For example - There are many good deals on MFD / Radar combos for $2200
Add AIS $500, Add wind , knot, and depth combo $1000 add autopilot $1800.

That about $5000 for top of the line from most brands without looking for deals.

We bought the above over the course of 3 years. We are not long term cruisers however these electronics have been a great addition as well as allowing my life to really understand navigation and charts.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Few points about "sailing date/information".

You'll need local info such as depth, wind speed and wind angle. These are transducers and are usually hard wired to a instrument which displays the data. The data can be "repeated" to multi function displays in multiple formats.

Chart plotters receive GPS signals and show the vessel's position on a digital chart.

MFD/chartplotters are chartplotters which display additional data: local environment (from transducers), RADAR from a separate radar "transceiver/antenna", AIS data from an AIS receiver. They can display weather data such as Sirius. Various screens can be selected with multiple layers of data. Some MFDs do wifi so data can be viewed on mobile devices. MFD do all manner of navigation computations.. DTW, TTG, SOG, COG, TWS and so on. And where your mother in law is.

Mobile devices are portable chart plotters. They may receive additional data from a wifi enabled MFD,

++++

What data do you "need" to inform your sailing? Depends. You can use tell tales and flags to tell you about the wind, for example... a lead line for depth and so on.

Speed data can inform sail trim... if it is accurate and precision is .1 kts or better .01 kts.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts