SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every sailor knows that some of the best entertainment you can get is to take a beer on deck in an anchorage and sit there saying to yourself "I wouldn't have done that".
You know if you are the only boat in an anchorage you are going to become the magnet. The bay may be 30 miles across but Monsieur Jean Claude Van Dam is going to anchor on top of your chain meter away. You know that the Italians are going to be diving off the boat even before there 5 meters of anchor chain has hit the bottom. There are going to be couples who are usually the best of friends shouting at each other and hitting each other with winch handles.
Then there are the Brits who will go round in circles all afternoon like a cat on a cushion looking for the one ideal spot, The boat who puts 6 miles of chain out telling everyone you are in his anchor circle. The list goes on and on...
So if you can help by suggesting some of the funnier ways NOT to anchor or mistakes you have made?

·
Registered
25,130 Posts
It's always bad karma to criticize a fellow sailor's anchoring or docking, lest Poseidon smite you on your next attempt. :)

I'm been smited.

That said, there is a pretty tried and true process for dropping a hook and I don't see half use it. The one that twists me is when its clear that the newcomer doesn't seem to understand that your set anchor is not directly under your boat and proceeds to position in clear conflict. In fact, with all chain on a light wind day, it may not be off your bow either. It could be 100+ ft to the side, even behind.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,036 Posts
Trying to anchor at St Augustine once, I was having problems getting a good set. Finally though, I got one. One problem though, I didn't notice I had drifted too close to shallow water. I spent a couple hours praying in the middle of the night that I didn't heel over past 40 degrees.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
The most embarrassing one was right out of Captain Ron. We were on the Bahama Bank between Gun Cay and Chub Cay and when it got dark I decided to just anchor.

I had a Lewmar claw that I never used and decided to put it out and just see how it held and set. I pulled it out of the rear locker, it and the 30 feet of chain and the 200 feet or so of line that was with it and carried it forward. I then put it over the bow roller and let it down and let 30 feet of chain out and then watched the end of the chain go right through my hands and over the roller. I don't remember when I detached the end of the chain from the line, but why in the hell I didn't re-attach it I'll never know. :D

We motored around for a half an hour looking for it the next morning (water clear as a bell on a sand bottom in 15 feet of water for those who haven't been there), but we never found it. :)

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Mine was staying to long at the fair. A few years ago I headed to New York to be part of the flotilla that was going to welcome Reid Stowe back to New York after spending a thousand days at sea. I arrived and anchored at Sandy Hook a day or two before the event in benign conditions. Stowe was already anchored nearby to check in with the Coast Guard. On the morning of the flotilla I was having coffee and noticed that Stowe was hoisting anchor several hours before we were to meet up at the rendezvous point. I was wondering why he was upping the anchor so early. The wind was picking up but, I stayed thinking I had plenty of time. Well, the wind picked up quite I bit by the time I was going to leave and then the windlass broke. Requiring me to pull the 100 feet of chain by hand in the face of 15 to 20 knot winds:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: SO MUCH FOR THAT!
I spent so much time bringing in the anchor that I never got to be part of the flotilla. Needless to see it was not a fun day.:eek:

·
Administrator
8,386 Posts
This wasn't a mistake because I did it on purpose.....

I was motoring down the ICW dead flat calm and no wind at all, none expected. Came into the anchorage just on sunset and the bottom must have been sloppy mud. Nothing I could do would set the pick. There was about 5 boats anchored there so I KNEW it must have been the right place. I must have tried 5 times or maybe more, different spots, different techniques etc.

I finally got the ****s with it and just dumped my 100 meters/330 feet of chain in one big pile and went to bed.

:)

Didn't move an inch :p

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,036 Posts
That sounds like the anchorage where the Little R joins the ICW just north of Myrtle Beach.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
The other time I pulled a good one, I was in Baltimore Harbor on a 43 foot cruiser we were using for surveillance. After picking the boat up at midnight from the crew we were replacing, we anchored under the Francis Scott Key bridge, off of Fort Armistead Park, watching a freighter that was smuggling cocaine in. We had a Bruce out on all chain (a lot of it, I don't remember how much).

About two in the morning, we had a wind shift and we swung and a bridge piling blocked our view, so I decided to re-anchor us for a better view. I went forward and hit the windless switch to pull in the chain. The windless started kind of slowing and groaning a little bit, but the chain kept coming in so I just kept my foot on the switch. Finally, it just stopped.

I leaned over the bow of the boat and saw our Bruce hooked on a power line about the size of my arm! I called the other two guys up and we sat and argued about how to get it off for about fifteen minutes, because nobody wanted to touch it. We finally looped a line around it, let the anchor down and pulled it the rest of the way in, and then cut the line. The whole time I kept looking over at Sparrow Point, waiting for lights to start going out.

The next morning, when it got light, we could clearly see the "No anchoring, underwater power line" sign. Since I was the only one on board who knew anything about boats, it was pretty embarrassing. :eek:

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
group 9 I have a similar one however it was our maiden cruise

san diego, off the police dock anchorage or whatever its called
get in at night

baja haha anchorage was full

brand new bruce, first anchor, all chain 250 ft, dropped 100 or so(small 28ft boat, we had massive chain and anchor for our boat) called it good it was a busy anchorage, crash for the night.

next morning pull the anchor and bam no anchor! ajajaja

the chain alone kept us nice and steady in the mud(no wind, no fetch nothing) so I look at the end and I had not seized the shackle so I guess on the way down the shackle unwound and when I lifted it up it went all the way out...

hilarious 200 dollar mistake!

NOT

1 - 13 of 13 Posts