SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've faired the aft part of our boat where the rub rail goes, with West Systems epoxy. What do I need to put down next?

The strip of new epoxy is wider than the rub rail (on purpose, there were tiny blisters from the water that gets trapped at the top of the rub rail).

So I need something that will protect it from the sun, and that will hold the 4200 that I'm going to use to glue the rub rail back in place.

Someone mentioned paint, could I use gel coat? What are my options? What would you do?

Here's the "before" picture from this thread (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/51904-small-hole-completly-aft-waterline.html).

Here's some much newer pictures.

This one is a bit out of focus.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
yes you can use gel coat, just dewax before you put it on. infact using the gel coat over the epoxy before the 4200 is a great idea, if you have to pull the rub rail the gel coat might be weak link and let the epoxy stay on the hull

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Yes, you can use gelcoat over epoxy. West Systems actually did some testing of this... PDF

De-waxing the epoxy, especially if you used an epoxy with an amine blush, like West Systems, is very important. Sanding the epoxy lightly with a fairly fine grade of sandpaper to give it some "tooth" for the gelcoat to bond to might be a wise idea as well.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, you can use gelcoat over epoxy. West Systems actually did some testing of this... PDF

De-waxing the epoxy, especially if you used an epoxy with an amine blush, like West Systems, is very important. Sanding the epoxy lightly with a fairly fine grade of sandpaper to give it some "tooth" for the gelcoat to bond to might be a wise idea as well.
Is that what you'd do? I truly don't know what the plusses and minuses are of the various options available (gel coat, paint, what else?)

I did use west systems epoxy and I've already sanded it thoroughly. The surface is now "powdery" in a ppearance. Do I still need to de-wax?

(Oh and I have it under blue tape now to keep the sun (mainly) and rain off it.)

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Personally, I would use Interprotect 2000E, not gelcoat... Paint is not an option for something that is that under the water IMHO.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just called Ward at Beneteau and we talked about this project. He recommended using gelcoat.

That said, I may use a tad bit of Interprotect 2000e in the lower spots that get wet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts