SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As part of a university project, I'm studying the fascinating sailing industry. I must admit I didn't know much about sailing before starting this project, but it has been very interesting so far.

I'm currently doing some market analysis and trying to understand what the market for sail boats is. More specifically, I'm trying to estimate what percentage of boats are sold for leisure and what percentage for sports. I've been having a hard time finding this information. Any help, tips as to where I could find such information, etc, would be extremely helpful!!

Thank you in advance!
Carmen

·
Barquito
3,656 Posts
I would imagine there are a large number of people who intend to race a little (local races usually held every week), and go cruising on the weekend. Oh, the exact percentage... 66.7%. Just kidding, I have no idea. :)

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,569 Posts
I would suggest that you contact the NMMA (National Marine Manufacturers Association) to get those stats for the US. I would also try BoatUS who gathers these kinds of statistics for their lobbying efforts. I would suggest that your terminology really does not match the language used by sailors. Most of us see ourselves buy boats to engage in the sport of sailing, and most of us see our sailing time as a liesure pursuit. You might get better data by asking about the percentages of Racing Boats, Racer-cruisers, and Cruising boats being sold.

The other thing that would skew your data is distinguishing or not distinguishing the size of the boat. Under 22-24 feet, the vast majority of the boats are predominantly race boats. At some point above that size, the vast majority of boats will be cruising boats, performance cruisers, or racer-cruisers.

Jeff

Reactions: SW14

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your help. I will contact these organisations!

I'm trying to understand the market for boating equipment that would improve performance (innovative sails, such as hard and soft wings, automation, etc). This is why I would like to understand what the market for racing is.

Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts