SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching the site for an answer to my question and while there is a lot about bottom painting and prep, I can't find reference to this particular issue. Pardon me for this probably very naive question.

I just bought my first sailboat—a 55-year-old, 30-foot fiberglass sloop. I'm super excited. She's on the hard and we are going to prep the bottom before we splash in two weeks.

The bottom was painted last year with Sea Hawk Cukote. It looks clean and is bar
Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 10.29.04 AM.png
nacle-free but it does show spotting (whitish spots on a dark hull paint--see image blow). The spots are not textured. I'll be using Sea Hawk Cukote again for consistence (the previous owner left me two unopened gallons). What prep is needed before painting? Just a light sanding all over? Only on the spots? Does it need a power-wash?

Thank you for any advice you all are willing to offer.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,215 Posts
A light sanding of any spots with foreign material on them is all that's needed. Just remove anything except paint. If you have a good power washing done on hauling, you should only need to sand the areas covered by the straps... Consider not painting at all every second or third season. The only coverage problem with a good ablative paint is if you add more paint than ablates off, eventually it gets thick and begins to flake off, and you need to strip the bottom to start over... You want to avoid paint buildup, if you dont have a base coat of a different color already, I'd change the color for this round, and then when you again see black again you know you need to paint.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts