SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the proper grounding preparation against lightning for a new/used boat during commissioning/haul-out and also what is the proper lightning preparation for the boat and its gear heading into thunder storm conditions?

To add to the understanding, explain why such an approach. I saw somewhere in this "Sailnet Forum" from one cleaver captain that the Microwave, offshore, makes a good Faraday cage for handhelds: brilliant! Any other gems for the other pieces and say... the boat and crew?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Let me Rephrase the Question

I should have been more specific with my question. I acknowledge that there is no way of preventing a lightning strike. My question addresses mitigation of danger and damage.

What I hear here is that all the bonding and grounding of house and boat is useless against lightning and that old Ben Franklin was a fraud as well as thousands after him.;)

Vasco your response has confused me. You say:

"As for bonding, not bonding, bottle washers on the masthead etc., etc., they don't do anything. My boat's through hulls were not bonded but when we hauled after the strike there was "treeing" (burn marks in the paint) at all the through hulls and at the gudgeon and pintle of the rudder."

Does this mean your boat was not properly bonded and grounded? If that was so how would anyone know how it would have reacted to the strike if it had been bonded and grounded to spec?:confused:

Am I to believe now when looking for my next boat I should ignore the quality of the boats bonding system and ground and instead pick up a prayer hymnal?:(

Also while under way in a thunderstorm, is there anything to avoid doing or touching and is there anything a good seaman should do besides pray?

Certainly an oven or heavy metal cookware makes sense for the backup GPSs and VHFs. Does a prudent seaman set the auto/vane and just go below?:eek:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks

Now that's what I call an answer!!!:)

Use radar, check; Reduce rig load, check; Implement normal emergency tactics when called for, check.:eek:

Believe me, the question was quite serious; scares the sheet out of me.:eek:

Thanks for the serious answer Cam.:cool:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I can't think of a better response to my OP than the Kathy Barron forum post of 4-07-2005 "lightning Strike". I'm just getting used to this SailNet stuff. I should have looked at the "Similar Threads".

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Why is this statement wrong:

"There is a lesson to be learned here. Don't flatter yourself that you can be a cosmic player: lightning doesn't know you exist, and it doesn't care. The way to deal with lightning is just to stay out of the way. On a sailboat, staying out of the way primarily means giving the lightning an unimpeded path to ground."

from Don Casey.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I'll admit a sailing ship sloppy with sea water and teasing the clouds with its wobbly metal mast, is not exactly an integrated circuit when it comes to controling current. However, you also must admit, we've been controlling pretty big currents for a while now and we certainly can mitigate damage or at least increase our odds for survival, can't we?

I liked hearing from walsn about his transorbs and their potential good effects.

Cam, you say yourself that an unimpeded path to ground helps. Are you saying: it helps but not enough to spend any money on it?

The answers I get on this may really help in my future purchase decision.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
OK then, no inordinate amount of attention to bonding. The battery cables sound like a prudent piece of gear and as a spare, at least for my peace of mind. It seems to help when you think you have a plan.

Great pictures bubb.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.