SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
996 Posts
Seriously...my attitude is that lightning is really bad news...especially if your mast is taller than most! I have had friends with top of the line boats, well bonded etc. get hit with both major damage and little damage. I don't think it matters.
I do what I can to avoid it and find that RADAR helps a lot in many situations to get around the squalls. I also take the sails in and turn the motor on to reduce the load on the rig AND make sure I don't ned to rely on my bateries or starter after I get hit! Ultimately...you just have to hunker down and hope you don't get hit and hope it isn't too bad if you do.
Electronics can be replaced but a mast coming down or a through hull being blown can be life threatening. Fortunately...if you are cruising you should be prepared for these things anyway and ready to implement emergency fixes since rigs and through hulls fail for other reasons as well.

·
996 Posts
Just to be clear...a microwave oven forms a VERY GOOD Farraday cage and the item does not require further insulation from the cage as it would if you put it in a pot or cooker. The interior of a marine oven is also a good place but the window makes it imperfect to a further enclusure in a pot/cooker should be used.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.