SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts
Sailing gloves, Harken with leather palms and open finger tips. Onboard work gloves, all leather short cuff, prop and shaft cleaning gloves (in water) I wear oyster shucking gloves, good grip and great protection from barnacle cuts.

·
Freedom 39
1,157 Posts
Sailing gloves are Gill short fingers. Harken gloves do not seem to be cut to fit my hands very well and don't have enough ventilation for most days on the water here. They are my spare pair. My Gills are on their third season, which will be their last.

I burned up a pair of off brand gloves in one race. So much for saving money.:rolleyes:

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Most of the time I wear JetPilot brand jetski gloves. They're about the best gloves I've found for sailing.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I have a pair of gills, 3/4 finger.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Atlas Fit Work Gloves

I got the tip from some high-end dingy sailors, that they gave better wet line grip than any other glove. Simply clip the finger tips where you like - because the tips are rubber coated, they won't fray.

I have carpal tunnel problems and grip problems, so for me they are a god send. They have shortcomings:
* They don't wear well. You may go through several pairs a season. Trimming hard and letting the rope through your hands they may not last a few races. Who cares.
* They grip too much... sometimes. They can't be beat for hauling an anchor line or jumping a halyard, but coiling line and delicate trimming require a bit of re-learning. A lighter touch.
* They're not cool looking...
* A touch of gas or fuel ruins them. Give them the pitch.

but on the plus side:
* They are cool.
* They are cheap. Perhaps $5.50, but free from the office:)
* Plenty for visitors.
* Good for fishing. Who would want to land a bleeding fish with high $$ gloves? The stink lingers in leather but rinses out of these.

Also, if you visit a commercial fisherman's store you will find they make 2 progressively warmer models for the winter. Not cool. Leave the fingers in.

After using these for a bit I gave all my high-end gloves away. I did keep the nice Gore-tex winter gloves!

·
Registered
55 Posts
MEC neoprene gloves

In warm weather, I have a pair of fingerless racing gloves I won from my old sailing club. Forget the brand right now. Ok, except that as the palms aren't leather, but some sort of grippy material (they had an almost sandpaper like texture when I won them, most of which is gone now) Would recommend leather palms ;)

For cold weather sailing, I actually wear my MEC kayaking gloves- full fingered, neoprene backs and cuffs, with leather palms and fingers with sticky little pads printed on the leather. The pads are peeling off a bit, but as a whole, they've held up well, even after two full seasons. We raced for 6 hours last Sunday in the freezing rain and snow, and I was the only one on board with hands that weren't completely numb. ;) The fancy gloves that are supposed to keep your hands dry never did for me. I've settled for wet but warm hands. Even better is that I've found that I can take these gloves off for 5 minutes, stick them in the armpits of my cruiser suit, and they're toasty to put back on. Still wet, but warm at least.

They're not fancy, but they were cheap, and they work well.

·
Super Moderator
6,855 Posts
When racing...

When racing I use a pair of SAS Safety, Mechanics Pro model gloves. I've tried many gloves but these allow me to do most everything I can do with bare hands only with gloves on. Tying knots etc. etc. is fairly easy with these. Plus they were dirt cheap at about $13.00... Some prefer open finger I prefer closed provided they give a good fit..

SAS Gloves

·
Registered
528 Posts
Gill 3/4 finger for me -- they have a kevlar palm that has definitely saved me some skin on several occasions. WM often has their house brand on sale for cheap -- they're okay, but the quality of workmanship and materials is definitely noticeable. Besides gloves for the Admiral and my oldest daughter, I keep at least one extra pair on board for guests/crew (the WM ones are cheap enough).

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Before I went disposable, Ronstan Amara Sticky Race Gloves, 3 finger.

The tacky surface only lasts a season, but the gloves last seasons. Still good for mowing the grass. Clearly I have a taste for gloves with increased grip. It really cuts down on hand fatigue, for me.

Amara does not wear as well as thick leather, but as long as there are multiple layers in the key areas, it holds in there until the rest of the glove is tired. Avoiding burning up gloves is mostly a matter of control. Watch the fingers near winches and the like! Gloves won't help.

·
Registered
140 Posts
This always ends up being highly personal. Seems to me that most local cruiser/racers go through a variety of gloves over the years and then finally find something they like, so start with anything that protects skin, has a good grip and allows knot management. When they don't work out, retire them to the guest bin and try something else.

Teenage kids lose theirs regularly, so parents of teen sailors get to experiment with various models.:)

For the Grand Banks north of the Gulf Stream on a night shift at the helm: cotton liner gloves inside heavy long-sleeved rubber green fisherman's gloves. Carry a stack of the liner gloves so a dry pair is always available. Wool takes too long to dry out on a boat at sea.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Atlas for the cheapies and guests, olympic dingy sailors use them for a reason. However, I like the harkens for grip (even though the back of the hand material falls apart). Currently I'm using Gill's kevlar jobbies, they're pretty stiff and don't grip as well as harken when dry, if you put a little water on em they grip better. The gills have very little wear on em. I think I'll try the Gill Pro's after these give out, but they're a little more pricey.

People who don't wear gloves amaze me. It's cheap insurance to keep your hands from being destroyed.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I use MEC half-finger bicycle gloves in the summer, and in the winter I use full finger bike gloves with wool "flip" top mittens and leather palms. I have a pair of neoprene diver's gloves if I have to fish stuff out of the water in April or November. I also have long, gauntlet-style heavy chemical-resistant gloves for cleaning up caustic or toxic goo aboard, and a bunch of vet's latex gloves for painting and assorted mucky jobs.

I have been known to wear "grippy dot" gardening gloves while racing, because at $1.99 a pair, I happily cut down the fingers and let the dots shear off on fast-moving line. Basically, though, I find that much of the gear I have for four-season bicycling suffices for Lake Ontario sailing, like a full Goretex rain suit with a wool sweater, a fleece turtleneck and a wicking T-shirt underneath.

I usually only get cold driving powerboats and workboats, however. Not enough movement.

I wear Thinsulate watch caps under my bike helmet. Basically, I find if you

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Best gloves I ever had were Kevlar short-fingers from the Mystic Seaport Museum, who haven't offered them in a long time. But you can buy pretty much the same thing as "kevlar trash handling gloves" in the big hardware stores. Light yellow Kevlar knit that outlasts every sailing glove, and you can always cut off three fingertips if you don't mind either raveled edges or finishing them.

They never harden up, they don't shrink, they never burn through from friction. They don't go well with dress whites, but they're great for working the boat.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Yep this is an old post I looked at the date and thought there was something not right this is n issue I have seen many times over the years here there should be a way for the mods to lock post ion to old posts say over a year old its to easy to start new thread not to have this option and they can just reference older thread. Personally I use cheap work gloves from my trucking days about two bucks a lair when handling my anchor a and chain to protect my hands from cuts.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
"there should be a way for the mods to lock post ion to old posts say over a year old "
Apparently there is no such option in any of the commercially available forum softwares. Which means the mods would have to manually flag and troll every thread in order to lock out the old ones. Which might in turn might not always be a good idea either.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.