SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Dennis and I have lived my whole life loving the sea, unfortunately I've done nothing about it. I've tried from time to time to get a job at a Marina with no luck and to no avail. I've read some books and I've kept dreaming. Well, it's time to bring those dreams to life. I've had things and I've lost everything. I work at a job and run, run, run all day just to be told it's not enough, and it's not even helping me get closer to my dreams. It seems I just work to pay the bills and fix my truck over and over again. I want more from my life and I want to learn to SCUBA, see the world, meet new people and take part in other cultures all over the world. It may sound crazy, the deck may be stacked against me, but no matter what I'm going to succeed. I was just hoping I could get some advice on where to start and what to do. Thanks for listening:)

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My name is Dennis and I have lived my whole life loving the sea, unfortunately I've done nothing about it. I've tried from time to time to get a job at a Marina with no luck and to no avail. I've read some books and I've kept dreaming. Well, it's time to bring those dreams to life. I've had things and I've lost everything. I work at a job and run, run, run all day just to be told it's not enough, and it's not even helping me get closer to my dreams. It seems I just work to pay the bills and fix my truck over and over again. I want more from my life and I want to learn to SCUBA, see the world, meet new people and take part in other cultures all over the world. It may sound crazy, the deck may be stacked against me, but no matter what I'm going to succeed. I was just hoping I could get some advice on where to start and what to do. Thanks for listening:)
Join the Navy. Become a Quartermaster - that's what the navy calls an enlisted navigator - so that you will be sent to sea duty.
Some of my happiest days were spent at sea. I spent 9 years in the navy.

OR

The Coast Guard.............two different ways of thinking here; either you will go into the Coast Guard or you will inquire as to what qualifications you might meet to join the Merchant Marine.
Either way, you can establish yourself a career.

Are you well educated? Even better! You can go in as an officer.

Are these guys macho, or what?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the replies

Unfortunately I am unable to join the Navy or CG because it would have been cool to be a diver. My wife has been in and out of this country all her life and never worried about citizenship. Recently after visiting her parents in Malaysia on re-entrance immigration decided she didn't look like a tourist. I don't know what's going to happen after we pay for the lawyer and everything, but it has given me the little push I need to follow the path I've always dreamed of. My wife studied in London and has been all over. She also carries alot of the same passions I do and still remains the woman I love. She is actually the one with the education and money as I am only a dreamer, hard worker and the man that loves her dearly:) Sorry for rambling, but I know myself very well and I feel as if I am pushed for time> I wish I could start on a small daysailor and gain eperience over time, but unfortunately it's just not in the cards for it to be so. I figure from what my wife tells me that we can get the money for about a 30'-33' sailboat. I hope to purchase within this year and be able to put in a slip around the bay area where I can live on it, do repairs and get everything ready to set sail on Oct. 2010. In my mind I won"t be taking a trip, but staring on my lifelong journey with only me, my wife and the sea:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts