SailNet Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going in a ocean trip for 2 weeks. I am very afraid on getting sick, What can i take, I dont want to feel drowsy.

How much time before should I start taken it.

·
Crealock 37
676 Posts
The wife and I nibble on candied Ginger...does the trick. I used Ginger a couple years ago when crewing to take a Beneteau 33 across the Gulf of Alaska....4 days motoring into 8-10 footers and only a tiny bit of nausea if below deck for an extended period.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
i dont get sea sick, but the wife does we keep a non drosey seasick med from west marine on board.

i am lucky i dont get seasick

·
Registered
295 Posts
I use Ginger capsules..pop a couple every hour or so to take the edge off, your local heath food store generally carries them.
Bill,

·
Mud Hen #69, Mad Hatter
415 Posts
Ginger ale, ginger snaps, candied ginger. Any derivative is supposed to improve your will to live while on the sea.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Scopolamine patch or Meclizine both work. I know a lot of people who use the patches with good results. Technically they are considered sedating, but some people are affected more than others. Give them a try before you leave to see if they make you tired or not.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Actually taking the helm can help. How often have you gotten carsick when driving?

I used the wristbands when we were in the Bahamas, and they helped, but you need to put them on ahead of time.

I find Gatorade to be helpful on occasion and sometimes Peppermint Patties. I think sometimes I'm nauseous when I'm really dehydrated or hungry.

Sometimes your best bet is to duck into a calm harbor (if possible) until your tummy is happy again.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Going in a ocean trip for 2 weeks. I am very afraid on getting sick, What can i take, I dont want to feel drowsy.
Maybe I missed it, but you didn't say if your "ocean trip" is on a cruise liner or your sailboat. I get sick on big ships, but not on a sailboat, no matter what the weather or the seas are like. On a sailboat, it you feel queezy, take the helm - it'll help a lot.
I would think on an ocean liner, most any motion sickness pills, like Dramamine (sp?) will work.

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,902 Posts
Scopalomine is great. There are some people that say they don't like the side effects, but I haven't noticed any other than some dry mouth. You put the patch on behind your ear and leave it there for up to 3 days - set and forget. It works great, and we've been in some really rough weather with it. I haven't noticed any drowsiness - I've actually found just the opposite. Just make sure you wash your hands well after putting it on - scopalomine is used by optometrists to dilate your pupils, and if you inadvertently rub your eyes after putting the patch on it will be some time before you can see normally again. Just ask your doctor to prescribe it for you - most pharmacies stock it and it's usually covered by health insurance if you have that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Seasick Medicine

I found a website by someone who seems to have tried them all and recommends Marezine. See mike ogara.net / seasickness. He indicates that it is non-prescription but not easy to find. I haven't found it myself but I have only once been afflicted, and even then not incapacitated, so I I didn't try that hard. From my one experience, I suggest you do not partake of heavy, greasy food before sailing in rough weather.

Good sailing

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A lot of ginger ales don't have any ginger in them. To get any ginger you usually have to get the "hot" stuff in the glass bottles. Candied ginger can be found in the asian food section of the grocery store. Bonine works best for my wife and son who both get car sick (same as Non-Drowsy Dramamine)

·
Registered
995 Posts
Scopalomine is great. There are some people that say they don't like the side effects, but I haven't noticed any other than some dry mouth. You put the patch on behind your ear and leave it there for up to 3 days - set and forget. It works great, and we've been in some really rough weather with it. I haven't noticed any drowsiness - I've actually found just the opposite. Just make sure you wash your hands well after putting it on - scopalomine is used by optometrists to dilate your pupils, and if you inadvertently rub your eyes after putting the patch on it will be some time before you can see normally again. Just ask your doctor to prescribe it for you - most pharmacies stock it and it's usually covered by health insurance if you have that.

Good post and I agree.

Bottom line is that different things work for different people and with differing effects. As such, i will throw in my 2 cents.

Ginger does NOTHING for me. The patch was awesome. I did get a little tired, but not too bad. However, I could not read small letters/items (like a book or small lettering on a map). Looking through bonocs to read something was impossible (like the name of a ship). However, it worked great for me.

On a side note, you have to take the pach about 24 hours BEFORE leaving. Does not do any good if you are already getting sick.

- CD

·
2,449 Posts
Take the helm

Taking the helm or even just looking at the horizon is a huge help. Also no heavy drinking or greasy foods starting the night before leaving. Most people will adjust after a day or two on the water.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My daughter gets seasick (and carsick) very easily. She finds that Bonine (or its generic cheaper equivalent) works well. I make sure she takes it regularly, every 24 hours if things are calm, every 12 hours if it's rocky. It also works if she takes it after she's feeling queasy. Dramamine doesn't work as well for her, and makes her tired but unable to sleep. With Bonine she can even read below and in the car.

My other daughter claims to never get seasick. I have to believe her, since she is able to read below in her tiny cabin in any conditions. My husband doesn't have much trouble with it either.

I like really strong cinnamon mints or gum. If I can get the off taste out of my mouth, I don't feel seasick. I often take Bonine the first couple days out, just to take the edge off while my body gets accustomed to the motion.

Unfortunately, the cures seem to be different for each person. Fortunately, there are lots of alternatives out there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts