SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into a roller furler for my Columbia 28. This is a masthead sloop. The I & J measurements are 31.8 and 12. With that I calculate my headstay length at 34 feet and the stay diameter is 3/16".

Looking at CDIs recommendations, they list the FF4 as a maximum stay length of 33' and the FF6 as 39'. Right out of the gate, we are at the fourth largest furler they make.

I'm a little surprised at this as I don't think this is a very big boat. Am I missing something here or is this really the right size furler for a 290 SF 150% Genoa?

Thank you

· Registered
79 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the assistance.

I don't trailer the boat. It sits in a marina on San Francisco bay.

This is the classic silk purse/pigs ear dilema. My new outboard cost more than the entire boat; anything but a CDI or an Alado will cost more than the entire boat; The new head sail is going to cost more than the whole boat ... :laugher

While I accept that I won't ever recoup my investment on anything added to this boat, I can't justify the premium price for a higher-end furling unit. At the price point this type of boat sells at, a new owner is going to want to know whether or not it has roller furling and that's probably about it.

Now of course, I need to choose between the CDI and Alado that are basically the same price.

· Registered
79 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
captainmidnight,
Like everyone else, I am looking for the best value when shopping for this. I don't have a specific price point yet as I am still looking around.

My stays are 6 months old. (There we go again, more money than the boat is worth :D ) I will make sure that the stay is toggled on both ends with whatever furler I install.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.