SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Retired and happy
228 Posts
Reaction score
My Morgan 30 has a headstay length of 39', so 31' for your Columbia doesn't seem excessive. Headstay lengths vary considerably from one design to another, of course......

I fitted an FF6 and am delighted with it. I know it is a design which can cause serious sailors to splutter into their beer, but the experience of a number of guys in my area suggests that it works well and lasts well and for those of us on a serious budget, it is perfect. It was also very easy to fit.

Go for it.

Stuart

Reactions: knothead

· Retired and happy
228 Posts
Reaction score
But be aware that the CDI design isn't as robust as some others. IIRC, knothead had reported about one he had seen where the CDI furler's drum came up a bit and caused the furler to jam... IMHO, if you sail in any kind of heavy winds, you'd be better off with a Harken or Furlex unit.
I agree it isn't as robust - given the price difference this is hardly suprising. However, the view of the guys that I spoke to around here is that there should be no problems with furling in any condidtions if care is taken with installation and set-up.

My previous boat had a Furlex which jammed from time to time, so I guess problems can arise with any system.....

Stuart

· Retired and happy
228 Posts
Reaction score
captainmidnight,
Like everyone else, I am looking for the best value when shopping for this. I don't have a specific price point yet as I am still looking around.

My stays are 6 months old. (There we go again, more money than the boat is worth :D ) I will make sure that the stay is toggled on both ends with whatever furler I install.
As a matter of interest, I paid a smidgeon under $600 for my FF6. I replaced the forestay, but only because it was very old and worn. You certainly won't want to replace a 6 month old stay if you can possibly avoid it, assuming that the toggle issue doesn't rear its ugly head.

It may also be worth noting that I replaced the stay and the furler with the mast up. It was really straightforward and I am not sure how possible this would be with eg an Alado.

Good hunting

Stuart

· Retired and happy
228 Posts
Reaction score
Okay, How about the rest of the rig? You stated "..it was very old and worn."
That caught my attention. Was the rest of the rigging replaced at a different time or does it look bad too? :)
Interestingly, the rest of the rigging is fine - I have been over it thoroughly and can find nothing which suggest that there is a problem. I am pretty sure it is all the same age as the forestay. However, the previous furler had an aluminium foil which was in poor condition. In particular, it was kinked and the joints were beginning to spring. This seemed to have created wear points on the stay which were quite severe in places making it look "old and worn".

Stuart

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.