SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What size motor for a 20ft trailer sailor? Should be a simple question, but maybe not.. The national trailer yacht federation stipulates a minimum of 6 HP, but I'm wondering if I'm out there in the poo one day in 30 knots, whether 8 HP could be wiser?

But a light motor is good as it will get put on and taken off lots, and is easier for everyone to raise and lower on the adjustable transom, which the current 9.9 HP Suzuki isn't. Wondered about 4 strokes - heavier but cleaner, more efficient, quieter (vibration?) 6 HP 4's tend to be single cylinders and haven't heard wide praise for them. The propeller pitch is the other consideration - any simple suggestions?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Hello,

when I had a Catalina 22 I used a 4 HP motor and I never wished for more power. The boat weighed about 2000 lbs, so I would say that WanderingStar's formula is correct.

Lastly, a long shaft is more important than more HP from a short shaft. A big motor that comes out of the water in waves / chop won't work as well as a 4HP that is in the water when you need it.

Barry

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
What size motor for a 20ft trailer sailor? Should be a simple question, but maybe not.. The national trailer yacht federation stipulates a minimum of 6 HP, but I'm wondering if I'm out there in the poo one day in 30 knots, whether 8 HP could be wiser?

But a light motor is good as it will get put on and taken off lots, and is easier for everyone to raise and lower on the adjustable transom, which the current 9.9 HP Suzuki isn't. Wondered about 4 strokes - heavier but cleaner, more efficient, quieter (vibration?) 6 HP 4's tend to be single cylinders and haven't heard wide praise for them. The propeller pitch is the other consideration - and simple suggestions?
I had a Tohatsu 3.5hp 4 stroke on my trailer sailer and it was a great little motor. Sipped fuel, reliable starter, good power. I'm sorry I sold it, it was way better than the Suzuki 2.5 I have on my inflatable dinghy now.

I never noticed much problem with vibration. I tended to lock it dead ahead and steer with the tiller, so I was never holding onto it for long.

As we are likely to see more bodies of water closed to 2 strokes, I think getting a 4 stroke makes sense if you're not too sensitive to weight. 10 or 20 extra lbs isn't going to bother you as much as it would with an inflatable dinghy.

I bought the Tohatsu as, at 43 lbs, it was a good tradeoff, power vs. weight.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I use a 6 hp on my 1500lb 20' boat. If I had to buy another one I would probably get a 4hp motor. I do sail on an inlind lake where conditions never get out of hand. If I was in an ocean enviroment I would probably opt for the 6.

·
Watkins 23
26 Posts
I have a Watkins 23 (2500 lbs). I have a 6 hp Johnson 2 stroke. It is all I need, except if you need to stop fast :) I hardly ever run over 1/2 to 2/3 throttle. It has a "weedless" style prop though and that makes it lacking in reverse. I'm pretty sure that I saw somewhere that the standard motor offering was 2 1/2 and the upgrade was six.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.