SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to figure out what these deck fixtures are. See photos. They have substantial backing plates so I assumed they'd be load bearing in some way. Boat is a 1966 Pearson Commander.

Any input is appreciated. If you can identify them please give info on how I'd use them.

Attachments

·
Less Senior Senior Member
1,445 Posts
Agree. Probably spin chocks.

·
19,488 Posts
They look like standard padeyes to me.. unlikely a spinn pole end could actually 'clip into' those.

Their position relative to the mast is odd.. as is their athwartship orientation. Somebody had a reason for them. My best guess is they are there to secure halyards or tie something off.

·
1,445 Posts
They look like standard padeyes to me.. unlikely a spinn pole end could actually 'clip into' those.

Their position relative to the mast is odd.. as is their athwartship orientation. Somebody had a reason for them. My best guess is they are there to secure halyards or tie something off.
My other thought was as a dead eye to rig a preventer. I think they might have originally been chocks that then got that teak donut put into them to convert to preventer deadeyes.

·
1,445 Posts
jib sheet fairleads or jib sheet inhaulers
Yep- could be used for that, too. Although I would expect them to be mounted perpendicular or at a 45 to the way they are for that. Hopefully whomever put them on did a decent job of prepping the core around them before they mounted them...

·
1,445 Posts
Did a quick google image search and found this similar setup used for a self tacking jib.
Looks like that is attached more midline (amidships), but interesting. Why would they need the teak donuts for this? Or you think just aesthetic? All the ones I could find had a traveller, either bar or proper. Think it was removed at some point?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I don't think it ever had a traveler but rather some sort of jib boom perhaps, whoever rigged it must have thought the donuts a good method for the line change/anchor point. I don't see that it would be very beneficial in most cases, I know there's a bunch of guys who sail narrow waterways that like them.
Looks to me they would be just as good for any of the uses suggested, barberhauler, preventer or self tacker.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have been trying to figure out what these deck fixtures are. See photos. They have substantial backing plates so I assumed they'd be load bearing in some way. Boat is a 1966 Pearson Commander.

Any input is appreciated. If you can identify them please give info on how I'd use them.
I think they were used for ropes to attach mooring whips.

Whipping The Problem - Seaworthy Magazine - BoatUS

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Barberhaul for the jib sheets, for sure. They're usually made of a hard plastic, which is smooth enough to provide low friction, and cheaper than having moving parts or stainless pieces.

Odds are there is, or were, an extra set of small clam cleats in the cockpit for the lines to be led aft and cleated off in.

Whether the extra control over jib trim is something you'll ever want to bother with, depends on what kind of sailing you want to do. If it isn't racing, and you aren't trying to clock max miles per day, you might just ignore them.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
When encountering a gale off shore you could heave to with the jib sheets doubled back to the boom from the dead eyes for that salty look.

·
Master Mariner
9,060 Posts
Could that be tufnol instead of teak? If so, they were common fairleads back when. Are there any cleats or jam cleats that a line could terminate at (near the cockpit) if run through them? I'd go with some sort of jib sheeting arrangement also, though I've not seen the like before.
Look like go toe grabbers if nothing else.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I've got a couple padeyes for tethers in the cockpit that dented my shins a dozen times until I got used to them being there.:eek:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts