SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across an odd item tucked away in my engine compartment this weekend while practicing my contortionist positions. It isn't visible unless your head is literally resting on the water pump.

I can't get a great picture of it because of its location, this is the best I could do. I'm not sure what it is, but I suspect it was some type of instrument bus. I've found a lot of odd things that are no longer in use on this boat but were never removed. The oddest that comes to mind is that I found the atomic 4 starter still wired to the breaker panel but hidden behind a piece of trim.

Anyway, does anyone have an idea what this is? I hate having unused junk installed on a boat and would like to rip it out if I can.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,647 Posts
Looks like a power supply of some sort.. You don't need permission to rip... err work on your boat LOL

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ha, yes I suppose I can. Engine and electrical are my big boat knowledge failings so I'm always cautious about pulling anything out that I don't understand (or even know what it is).
The boat needs to have every wire ripped from it and replaced, but I want to get it back in the water where it belongs for a season. I've been sweating in a hot shed working on the boat for too long that I've forgotten what it's like to sail this boat.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Looks like some kind of power converter/ regulator it has an on and off switch and internal fuse where do the white and green wires go to and any idea what the other side looks like? After blowing up the pic some I would say power converter leads 1&4 go to a meter and lead 2 says positive and lead 3 negative flip the switch and see what a multimeter says is the output.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
That is a marine grade Ectoplasmic Containment Unit. Whatever you do, don't disconnect that unit!

No, really. The two leads connected to "METER" appear to have been cut off or shorted out, so whatever it displayed on some meter, it no longer displays anywhere?

And the two red wires on "BAT(tery)2" appear to be just one lead as well? Does any of the wiring actually GO anywhere?

If not, you can probably remove it and disconnect it. if it goes someplace, knowing where and what would help guess what that is.

Just in case it IS the Ectoplasmic Containment Unit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a marine grade Ectoplasmic Containment Unit. Whatever you do, don't disconnect that unit!
I knew it, if anyone has seen my other thread about starting a diesel after five years, this may be the problem I'm having; the Ectoplasm is not getting to the injectors. I think I'll hook the battery right up to those terminals. What could go wrong...

I haven't chased where the wires go yet because I've had other things to deal with but I will once I get my motor started.

·
Registered
360 Posts
GREETINGS EARTHLINGS; Looks like some sort of older voltage regulator did or does the engine have a dynamo as they would have been fitted when the dynamo would have been on the boat . AS ALWAYS GO SAFE.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Looks like some kind of power converter/ regulator it has an on and off switch and internal fuse where do the white and green wires go to and any idea what the other side looks like? After blowing up the pic some I would say power converter leads 1&4 go to a meter and lead 2 says positive and lead 3 negative flip the switch and see what a multimeter says is the output.
Looks like function may be related to RF so is there a coax cable connected to the other side of the thing?

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Maybe part of a thermostat system or equivalent?, if the boat has/had a heater or A/C of some sorts?

Maybe check with a meter for battery voltage & the "meter leads' for continuity. If there is no voltage with all accessories operating or a resistance reading on the meter leads, it probably isn't part of anything. Before ripping it out, take the leads off & if everything else continues to work, it is probably OK to remove it. Or, you can just leave it alone. :D

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
Maybe for a refrigerator unit?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
There is no way to say what it is with the info provided.

However, consider this....
The meter wires are really small telephone wires, 22 or 24AWG. they can't carry much current.

The Batt wires look to be power INTO the devise as they are next to the fuse and ON/OFF switch. They too are small so it does not draw a lot of power.

At best it's a poor installation.

The ON/OFF switch is off. So it was not working before, and you didn't miss it, so it's likely not useful or something you want.

If you can get a pic of the other face and see what comes out there.

While I can't tell you what to do, I would rip it out. Gleefully. It would annoy me until I found out what it was.

My motto is be BOLD and ditch it. If I have ever been burned by this approach I have forgotten the incident.

If it's not working it can only cause trouble, if only to confuse you in the future.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mystery solved, I got in there this afternoon and pulled it out along with a huge amount of wiring. On the back side it's clearly labeled and is some sort of control box for an old fathometer that I yanked out when I re-cored the cockpit.

Unfortunately, I got a little overzealous with the old wiring purge because I cut my VHF antenna cable. Oops!

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
Coax can be spliced or fitted with new connectors and rejoined. The good news is, if it wasn't premium coax to start with and it was well over five or ten years old...it should be replaced anyway. And the antenna checked or replaced as well.

·
Singlehander by Default
161 Posts
Sooooo...What you're really saying is that you did a shoddy job of removing the old fathometer??? :laugher

Reactions: newhaul
1 - 20 of 22 Posts