SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Mistral 16
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

I have a Mistral 16 and I am looking to get a missing part for the Spinnaker. It is visible on the page 3, cell 33 of the user manual attached to this post.
What's the name of the hook linking the spinnaker pole to the mast and to the hull, the one with the weird shape?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Mistral 16
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you @overbored . However I am referring to this specific hardware piece in the pic below. I could have put the zoomed picture at first 😅 Sorry! I believe the mast eye is the hardware attached to the mast directly.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
oh that is an S hook that was specific to the Mistral they had a line or bungy to keep the topping lift from flying away when not in use. the hook was sticking out so it was easy to attach the pole before you pushed the pole out and clipped it to the mast. we had a wayfarer same boat but did not have that hook. we just had a S hook. brings back a few memories suffering big ways coming back in the newport jetty. fun boat we had it for a season and then went to the 420
this has pics of how it is done on the C420 look at page 3 an 4 https://club420.org/assets/documents/other_docs/420_Rigging_Manual.pdf

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Looks like you could use any hook with a ring base, and just tie the topping lift to the top and the bungee (downhaul) to the bottom of the ring.
WHITECAP Fast Eye Snaps | West Marine
Another route is to put jam cleats on the pole itself and knots in the topping lift/downhaul. You slip the topping lift between the cleats and the knots & bungee keep it in place. Will try to find a pic. I think 420's or Wayfarers use this setup.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Here's the picture. This cleat gets riveted to the middle of the spinnaker pole. The crew snags the knotted topping lift line with the cleat as they push the pole forward to clip it to the mast fitting. The bungee keeps the topping lift tight in the "v", and the crew can pre-set the pole height by picking which knot he wants above or below the cleat. The topping lift itself can also be adjusted. Fancy boats have a cleat on both sides of the pole so you don't have to worry which end is outboard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts