SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do I do about women parading around in bikinis on my dock, it's begining to piss me off?

OK that was a joke just to see if I can get more replies than the 6 in this forum right now. Anyhow I ordered a chart plotter becasue it was cheap and I was wondering if the charts are any good and if they need to be upgaded often.
The plotter is HUMMINGBIRD 785C2I. They are selling it here on sailnet at give away prices. It is preloaded with navionics gold charts. Are these good charts for navigating the ICW? How often do you need to update these due to changes in ocean topography?
If anyone has this, I know it's a gps/chartplotter, is it also a fishfinder, is it a depth finder, does it always come with a transducer and if so is it through hull?
I downloaded a manual that covers a series of these plotters, but I am not sure what is specific to what I bought. It was just so cheap I couldn't resist.
By the way I have never used a chart plotter or owned one before. I am outfitting and repairing a boat but have never sailed before, so things you may assume any idiot on the water should know, I am not an idiot on the water. I am an idiot that will soon be on the water but not yet.

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,903 Posts
We have a Raymarine C-Series with the Gold charts, and we went down the ICW from Norfolk to Beaufort, NC (went outside after that). I'm sure this is a "feature" of most electronic charts, but many times we showed being on land as we traveled. Use the chartplotter for reference, but definitely navigate the ICW visually. In addition, Navigational aids are often moved around on the ICW due to shoaling, especially as you get farther south.

With regards to updates, it all depends on where you are going. Navionics just updated their Bahamas coverage. For a while, you had to buy the "Bahamas Special Edition" charts, separate from the east coast or central america charts. As of a month or so ago, they've integrated their changes.

Navionics does offer a $100 rebate when you do chart upgrades. You buy the new one and get a return envelope with it. When Navionics receives your old one back, they will send you a $100 credit.

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
Best Thread Title ever.

:D :D

(don't know crap about electronics though... I just thought I'd encourage that behavior..!)

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Dang, can't help you on the electronics. As to the bikini problem they easiest way to get them off your dock is to get them onto your boat.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You would get better response if you posted some bikini pictures.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Yep, didn't happen if there are no pictures. We need some proof or else!

Some of the problem spots on the ICW get their markers moved to keep up with the shifting sands. So just when things are dicy, your plotter will more likely be wrong!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Last time I traveled 40 miles in the ICW with no depth sounder, and grounded on a sand bar 1 mile from my destination. I got the stock depth sounder working, and will have this plotter at least this time.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
HS—

If you're really complaining about too many bikini girls... let us know what marina you're at...and we'll come over and take them off your hands. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Grrrr, now I know get why there is always a ruckus when out on the docks in my bikini. Pffft, maybe because I am blonde, I didn't get that they were glares, not stares. Muahahaha! Next time, I will wear jeans and a turtle neck. ...NOT! :-D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts