SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi ,
I might buy a boat in ST Maarten this summer , but since I wont have the time to bring it back to where I usually sail ( il probably do it next summer , or hire someone to do it :) ), Id like to know where I could go or what kind of itinerary I could do in 3 weeks departing from st Maarten and coming back to St Maarten ?

Thanks a lot.

·
"Nevis Nice"
224 Posts
It depends on how much you want actually to sail between islands versus dropping the hook and spending more time enjoying some of the anchorages and shore attractions.

Anguilla, St. Barth, Saba, Statia, and St. Kitts & Nevis are all an easy day-sail from St. Maarten. Antigua is about 90 nm upwind, so if you wanted to go there, you'd probably want to come down to Nevis first, and just motor the 45 nm to Jolly Harbour.

I haven't been to Anguilla, but the rest of the islands I've mentioned have plenty of interesting opportunities for you. You might want to buy Chris Doyle's Sailing Guide to the Leeward Islands--it has a ton of information on everything to do with cruising there. And here's a link to a thread about a charter experience in this area that will give you the flavor of it: Must sees, must avoids on charter from Antigua to St. Martin

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Why do you want to go back to St Maarten. Assuming you are states bound eventually it would be MUCH MORE FUN and MUCH EASIER sailing to go with the wind and the flow. In other words go west young man. Maybe Anguila definitely the BVI Vieques Puerto Rico. Maybe Samana and park it somewhere on the North Coast of the DR.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts