SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Master Mariner
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a pretty laid back guy most of the time. I really like living where the government doesn't nanny me to death and where I can take personal responsibility for my own actions.

Nobody giving out speeding tickets on land or out here on the water. If I choose not to wear a life jacket in the dinghy, there's never going to be some local LEO or CG boat pulling me over and giving me a citation.
So, now were in lockdown with very strict and specific rules in place regarding what we can and cannot do. I'm cool with all of them and basically, if I adhere to them, I feel they should keep me and the local residents alive and well through this pandemic.
But there are some on the boats around me who are ignoring these rules. Mostly, though expressly prohibited, they are visiting friends and getting together. Some even sneak ashore to do a garbage run, to avoid paying a modest fee to the marina.
I'm not a snitch, rat or canary. But if this sort of $hit continues, I have no doubt that Grenada will just tell us all to leave. Why should they have to police us when they have enough worries on their hands already.

And we have nowhere else to go other than home, and that's almost 2000 miles of sailing, in the wrong season. Anyway, I like it here. Sitting in a marina or on the hook in Narragansett Bay for the next 12 to 18 months really does not appeal to me.
So, do I report these rule breakers and keep the authorities focused on the small group of rule breakers, or will this bring the heat down upon us all sooner? It's not like these folks don't know the rules. They are posted online on every relevant facebook page, fliers were handed out, the CG has stopped by every boat here in Tyrrel, etc. They are just choosing to ignore the rules.
What do you think?

It is absolutely inevitable that Grenada will boot us if we become too much trouble.

·
Master Mariner
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
11,803 Posts
That sucks.
Is kind of a microcosm of what we are experiencing also.
Report them may also focus attention of the authorities and will cause them either enforce or kick you all out
Sorry to hear this.

Reactions: capta

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
This is about garbage?

Advertise that you will accept garbage properly packaged and sealed dropped into your dink... and you can legally dispose of it. How much could this be?

We carried our rubbish in the cockpit lazarettes for several weeks on passage. First there's not all that much and properly packaged it should smell.

If you can identify the offenders can you reach out to them directly on the radio or swing by in the dink????

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
Tough one...

Why do they think they can flaunt the rules? Do they not see the consequences as you do?

Will there be consequences to you if you do report them?

I'm no snitch either, but if this behaviour is truly putting others at serious risk, and if reporting will not result in worse outcomes, then I'd probably report them.

·
Banned
205 Posts
My advice is to not report them, the authorities will most likely ask everyone to leave. Remember grade school when everyone in the class had to put their heads down on the desk, just because one or two idiots were misbehaving? The same thing will happen.

Here in Guadeloupe, we now have the water police patrolling the anchorage. Our newest rule I just found out while writing this... is absolutely no socializing even distanced, no paddle boarding or kayaking allowed and we can only swim in the immediate vicinity of our own boats. The couple on the boat next door just swam over and were treading water 30ft off the starboard side while we were talking, which then drew the attention of the harbor police to come over and politely tell them to swim back over to their own boat. We are still allowed to take a dinghy to the grocery store and fuel dock every few days or so, but I have to say.... everyone here in the anchorage is cooperating. Over a hundred boats, and I only see a few dinghies each day make a quick trip in to buy food or take on water.

With the latest increase in virus numbers here on the island reported just today, the authorities have increased the security measures.... We just got buzzed by a helicopter, I haven’t seen that before.

It’s now vital to have an exit plan in place and be ready to execute at any given time, although I still can’t imagine the French asking us to leave.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Tough choice is right.

The people visiting each other boat to boat is probably safe enough if they've been isolated from this thing. ( I'm not condoning it, they should follow the rules of their host country! )

The clandestine trips ashore to dump trash without paying, will eventually attract the attention of the marina, who has to pay to dump it.

If you quietly report them to the marina, perhaps they will take it from there. That might keep you in good graces should they decide to evict people, they may choose to be selective in their enforcement.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I'm a pretty laid back guy most of the time. I really like living where the government doesn't nanny me to death and where I can take personal responsibility for my own actions....

...So, do I report these rule breakers...
Sorry, I can't help but point out the hypocrisy in this. You sail to a place with lax enforcement so the "government doesn't nanny me to death", but then you get amped up when other people (who probably sailed there for the same reasons as you) take advantage of the lax enforcement.

Classic example of reaping what you sow.

Reactions: mbianka

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
I tend to agree with Capt A.

These people are in a very small cruising community all of the age of high susceptibility. If one cruiser goes down with it I wonder if that might take down the lot?

I like the North Korean method: Anyone who coughs, shoot them. No escalation of infection. CaptA should mount his 50:50 on the foredeck... :ship-captain:

·
Master Mariner
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry, I can't help but point out the hypocrisy in this. You sail to a place with lax enforcement so the "government doesn't nanny me to death", but then you get amped up when other people (who probably sailed there for the same reasons as you) take advantage of the lax enforcement.

Classic example of reaping what you sow.
Uh, gee, perhaps you haven't heard, but there's a world pandemic going on here, if not where you are. Almost everybody here is 100% behind these strict measures.

My not wearing a life jacket in a dinghy endangers no one but myself, but those who break these rules endanger EVERYBODY, not just themselves, so I don't see the hypocrisy you speak of so callously.

Reactions: Sal Paradise

·
Master Mariner
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tend to agree with Capt A.

These people are in a very small cruising community all of the age of high susceptibility. If one cruiser goes down with it I wonder if that might take down the lot?

I like the North Korean method: Anyone who coughs, shoot them. No escalation of infection. CaptA should mount his 50:50 on the foredeck... :ship-captain:
Shhhhhh. Nobody's supposed to know what's really in the anchor locker.

·
Master Mariner
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One of my axioms of life: "There is always one who ruins it for the rest of us."
Report them and be specific.
Sadly, this could be a case of life or death for some of us, as Mark pointed out.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Sadly, this could be a case of life or death for some of us, as Mark pointed out.
Capta, my remark was not directed towards you at all. It was directed towards the rule breakers. My apologies if you were offended.

·
Banned
205 Posts
I strongly suggest you establish an exit plan and be ready to implement your plan on short notice. I have 540 gallons of diesel and 325 gallons of water onboard along with 3-4 weeks of food. Just in case you get kicked out, home is 480 miles away from Grenada, the US Virgin Islands.

Ratting out other cruisers is not a viable plan. IMHO

1 - 20 of 59 Posts