SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Uh, gee, perhaps you haven't heard, but there's a world pandemic going on here, if not where you are. Almost everybody here is 100% behind these strict measures...
Spoken like a good nanny.

I agree with you, the pandemic threat is serious and deadly. I’m glad I stayed in my nanny state.

Sounds like you’re in a tough situation. I do hope that you’re able to resolve it without getting everyone kicked out.

I guess nannies are like lawyers - everyone hates them until they need one.

Reactions: mbianka and Ken111

·
Master Mariner
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Capta, my remark was not directed towards you at all. It was directed towards the rule breakers. My apologies if you were offended.
'No, no, I didn't take it that way. Sorry if you thought I did.
I liked your post.

Reactions: Skipper Jer

·
Banned
205 Posts
The problem is that most people are refusing to change and adapt, which is why the numbers of cases in the US, NEW YORK CITY, Spain, Italy and throughout Europe have exploded.

I’ve got a really bad feeling about all this...

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
Will be interesting to see how long people are prepared to accept it though. :grin

2 weeks hard isolation.
After that the Chinese were getting edgy.

But the USA hasn't started hard Isolation yet.

France $400 if you are outside your house without written authorisation.
Was from March 17th to 31st now extended to April 15th.

·
11,803 Posts
What choice do they have. Watching the news many are scared sh..less. Even if it’s only half as bad as projected,
The speed which this has overtaken the world is breathtaking. The threat of getting very sick or dying can be sobering , even to the most uncompliant person.

I am seeing many people not accepting this. From alaska , Vancouver and LA to Maine, Florida and New Brunswick. Some of that is generational. We’ve seen that play out on the Florida Beaches, the bars, the get together. They didn’t think it applied to them. The targeted generation has taken this seriously from the get go. They had the most to loose. Death or painful sickness.

When these virus epidemics struck before , the internet and instant Communication has changed things. Just like when the Vietnam war was brought into peoples living rooms.....it became real. Seeing suffering first hand is much more than reading about it.

The issue has been who to trust, which story. We already know that the politicians narrative is to get them elected. People trust the scientist Dr Fauchi. They trust their eyes. They still are looking for a leader with an overall plan. Some governors are stepping forward.

When people ( all over the world) see the health professionals giving from their hearts, it’s hard not to follow them

Stay safe ....be smart....help others

·
11,803 Posts
I’m still hanging by a thread ( that’s a joke)🤗

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
All Posts in this thread will take a few minutes to be reviewed before they are, *if acceptable*, posted.

Obviously politics may come into it...

However, all political divisiveness, electioneering, name calling of members or name calling of politicians, is being dispensed with your posts deleted, and you will be removed from seeing this sub-forum permanently.

No matter which country you are from people are to be respected no matter which party they vote for.
Similarly no personal disrespect to any politicians, nor their names be changed, altered or mis-spelled.

Finally, you will be removed from the Hot Topics forum altogether if you show a lack of respect that another members' core beliefs are different to your own.

Mark

·
Master Mariner
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Spoken like a good nanny.
I guess nannies are like lawyers - everyone hates them until they need one.
What exactly do you think Grenada has or is doing to protect me? The rules and regulations imposed are to protect their citizens, not us. The only thing I want from the Grenadian state is to be allowed to remain here.
I have been paying pretty close attention to this epidemic, then pandemic, since late January. I could see the writing on the wall by early February and took the responsibility for my health, myself. I didn't need any government to tell me what I should do or impose a quarantine.
I have not set foot on Grenadian soil nor have I been within 6 feet of anyone except my wife since we got here, about two months ago. We have been washing everything that comes aboard and she even disrobes and showers as soon as she comes back from the market, since the first day she went ashore.
I'm not everyone and I don't need any government to impose regulations to keep me safe. Of course, I appreciate everything Grenada has done to keep their citizens safe because it does the same for me and my wife.
I sincerely wish my loved ones and friends were here rather than there, where, IMO, the nanny state has failed its citizens miserably

·
11,803 Posts
Interesting

To the great majority of us who are practicing good sanitation and isolation our chances are as good as you.

But we don’t have to worry about Getting thrown out of our houses or told to leave by a third world government.

If I had the choice of being a citizen but having to live within the US, or being in a foreign country with no rights with the possibly of being TOLD to leave, I think I opt for the previous.

Criticizing the US government, but living there trying to continue to make things better is a far better prospect for me, vs sitting in judgement from afar. It’s much easier to listen to someone who is within the system trying to navigate it vs just continued criticism.

There is a lot wrong in the US, however I still would rather be sitting isolated in my house than being a nonentity in a foreign land.

For you I hope you continue to have good luck and stay safe protected by the perfect Grenadians .

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Getting off the grid is somewhat of a fantasy... you need food, supplies and services. When you live on a boat anchored off some lovely island... you are at the mercy of the Island.

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
Where abouts are you presently house sitting? Someplace away from a city I hope.
Well, I guess this drift is as valid as the other, and not nearly as political.

Unfortunately all our house sits collapsed in a heap of Covid-19 dung. The shyte really hit the fan 1/2-way through our second-last one of the season, and we had to abandon that ship early as the home owners were ordered back by the Canadian government (back from Florida). And then our last one evaporated entirely.

So now we're hunkered down in Ottawa, living with too-kind relatives. I can't even make a run for my boat because it is in Newfoundland, and that province has imposed a mandatory 14-day quarantine on all arrivals, even those who come from inside Canada.

Amazing how fast our free world has shrunk to the size of an apartment. I appreciate the reasons, but I am concerned about the long-term implications for our so-called "free" societies.

·
11,803 Posts
Re: What to do

Unfortunately all our house sits collapsed in a heap of Covid-19 dung. The shyte really hit the fan 1/2-way through our second-last one of the season, and we had to abandon that ship early as the home owners were ordered back by the Canadian government (back from Florida). And then our last one evaporated entirely. that ship early as the home owners were ordered back by the Canadian government (back from Florida). And then our last one evaporated entirely.
I don’t understand what this means

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Capta where are you? Southern bays? How are you getting food? Do you have a watermaker?
We’ve taken to behave as if we were taking care of an immunologically comprised pt. or pt. with highly virulent disease. Use our mud room as a staging room to disrobe, sanitize, enter house, straight to shower. Return gloved and sterilize what we’re bring into the house or leave it in garage for appropriate length of time. When on the boat used the sugar scoop in that fashion. Leave things in cockpit!on rails or top of the house. Boat was easier as had hot shower out there on the scoop. Couldn’t find any literature if a dunking in salt water is sufficient to kill virus. Would think it would be but don’t know.
Always two staged food and other supplies since we started cruising. Packing never got inside the boat. Motivation was to not bring cockroach eggs aboard. Now would do the same but also use UV exposure, time and solvents (any hydrocarbon on plastics/metals or etoh if you have it) should work.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I have not set foot on Grenadian soil nor have I been within 6 feet of anyone except my wife since we got here, about two months ago. We have been washing everything that comes aboard and she even disrobes and showers as soon as she comes back from the market, since the first day she went ashore.
If you don't have photos it never happened. :)

·
11,803 Posts
There are no long term implications for free societies.

This is a war. War against an invisible enemy. As such it calls for extraordinary reaction. The first response is to save lives. Period. It doesn’t mean we live in a permanent state of war.

To be honest you should not be able to go to Newfoundland . The policy is thrown in place to prevent increased spread. It is shortsighted to think you are in a bubble when you travel as well.

This virus will get everywhere...there will be no escaping it unless they get a vaccine for next year. No one is immune. Mitigating the peak is all we can do so the hospitals don’t get overwhelmed . What that does is decrease the fatalities and allow the supply chain to catch up. It allows treatment to get tested. It allows eventually a vaccine to be developed.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts