SailNet Community banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
11,803 Posts
Re: What to do

Sorry Chef. What don't you understand? Wasn't meant to be a cloaked message.

It is a response to a specific question to me; a thread drift, but I try to respond to questions put to me (like this one).
This is what I didn’t understand

Unfortunately all our house sits collapsed in a heap of Covid-19 dung. The shyte really hit the fan 1/2-way through our second-last one of the season, and we had to abandon that ship early as the home owners were ordered back by the Canadian government (back from Florida). And then our last one evaporated entirely. that ship early as the home owners were ordered back by the Canadian government (back from Florida). And then our last one evaporated entirely.

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
Ah... the main point of my post was to respond to a question about my house sitting. I thought I was pretty clear.

There are no long term implications for free societies.
You don't know this. Past crisis, particularly recent ones, show you are incorrect. But I hope this is true this time.

This is a war. War against an invisible enemy. As such it calls for extraordinary reaction. The first response is to save lives. Period. It doesn’t mean we live in a permanent state of war.
Yes, the language of war is always used to justify extraordinary measures. This is what worries me.

To be honest you should not be able to go to Newfoundland . The policy is thrown in place to prevent increased spread. It is shortsighted to think you are in a bubble when you travel as well.
Did I say I "should be able to travel"? I said I would like to. Did I say anything about believing I was in a bubble while traveling? I've stated the opposite. I can self-isolate better on my boat than where I am right now. But I've stated the problem is I can't see a way to get to my boat, and get it launched, while maintaining adequate safety measures for this very real crisis.

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
Re: What to do

This is what I didn’t understand

Unfortunately all our house sits collapsed in a heap of Covid-19 dung. The shyte really hit the fan 1/2-way through our second-last one of the season, and we had to abandon that ship early as the home owners were ordered back by the Canadian government (back from Florida). And then our last one evaporated entirely. that ship early as the home owners were ordered back by the Canadian government (back from Florida). And then our last one evaporated entirely.
Uhmmm... not sure what is unclear in the above. We had to abandon our second-last house-sit 1/2 way through when the owners were ordered home early. Our last house sit got cancelled completely, all due to the whole Covid-19 mess.

·
11,803 Posts
Sorry I guess I wasn’t keeping up on your house sitting escapades, makes sense now. Stay safe🤗

·
Captain Obvious
2,325 Posts
2 weeks hard isolation.
After that the Chinese were getting edgy.

But the USA hasn't started hard Isolation yet.

France $400 if you are outside your house without written authorisation.
Was from March 17th to 31st now extended to April 15th.
They think its spreading in the apartment buildings in NYC. Staying inside isn't going to stop that. The chinese did a state quarantine facility and contact tracing and testing. We are doing none of that, essentially we are letting nature have its way.

I am out in the country in a detached house, More than 100 feet to the next house. i have a pretty decent chance of holding it off for a while. The real problem is, as in Italy people cheating and fraternizing on our existing soft lockdown.

capta, you have to walk a thin line; be prepared to leave, confront the offenders and get others to confront them in a common cause. But You will also have to accept some amount of mischief, and the authorities will as well.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Chef a bit harsh my friend. Premise is wrong. Until such time as incidence and prevalence approaches US numbers he’s at lower risk of infection where he sits.
We contemplated this before deciding to leave. Ultimately came to believe over time with following CDC protocol eventually risks would be at least in the same order of magnitude if not comparable in both locales. How long it takes to get there is conjecture.
Medical care at baseline for other risks (other infections, MI, Stroke etc.) and rate of dissemination of any treatment or vaccine strongly favors being in a first world country so believed (in the absence of firm data) we’d be better off at home.
This situation is a total crapshoot. No one knows what number will be on the face of the dice. His guess is as good as yours. He knows his situation and you know yours. Any ones decision potentially is right or dead wrong. Only correct decision is to do what’s required to minimize risk of infection wherever you are.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
They think its spreading in the apartment buildings in NYC. Staying inside isn't going to stop that.......
Link??

One may touch something contaminated in a building and transfer it to their face, but if the inside of one's apartment is clean and they've fully washed their hands, I don't see how it would transmit. I suppose you could ride an elevator with someone infected and coughing. I've read nothing that says it travels well as an aerosol. Coronaviruses are understood, this one simply causes a unique disease.

·
Captain Obvious
2,325 Posts
Link??

One may touch something contaminated in a building and transfer it to their face, but if the inside of one's apartment is clean and they've fully washed their hands, I don't see how it would transmit. I suppose you could ride an elevator with someone infected and coughing. I've read nothing that says it travels well as an aerosol. Coronaviruses are understood, this one simply causes a unique disease.
You are right - I didn't mean it was permeating buildings. I should have written that more accurately. I will see if I can dig out an article I read where they found a lot of people contaminating their families because housing is so expensive they have 8 people living in a 3 room apartment and everyone has it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/nyregion/coronavirus-nyc-crowds-density.html
Density Is New York City’s Big ‘Enemy’ in the Coronavirus Fight

"All of those people, in such a small space, appear to have helped the virus spread rapidly through packed subway trains, busy playgrounds and hivelike apartment buildings, forming ever-widening circles of infections and making New York the nation’s epicenter of the outbreak."

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
I have not set foot on Grenadian soil nor have I been within 6 feet of anyone except my wife since we got here, about two months ago...
No wonder you're irritable. I would be too.

Here's my gripe for the day. I had to head to the grocery store for food, so I continued the extra 5 minutes to the boat to reinstall a hatch that I had repaired at home. The "club" (i.e., the bar) is closed, but the yard is unlocked and is never staffed anyway since it's all DIY. The yard was deserted (it was already 5 pm), but as I worked under the cover I could hear some commotion coming from the direction of the boat ramp. I looked, and I could see a boat being backed down the ramp. As I continued to work, there was laughing and joking, just a general party-like sound. After about an hour things had quieted down and I was finished. I hopped in my car and headed to the boat ramp to look at a few things, including the accumulating fog over the water and how planes landing at the airport would suddenly appear out of the fog when they were a few hundred feet up (low ceiling). As I rounded the parking lot I saw 8 people, roughly half male/female congregated in a circle, drinking, smoking, vaping. They were shoulder to shoulder, having a good old time. None of them were people I hang out with, but they looked to be typical demographic of many of our boat club "visitors" (they might even be members, but I didn't recognize anyone from our meetnigs): typically 60+, overweight/borderline obese, smokers/vapers/heavy drinkers. These are the high-risk people we're all trying to protect. I'm not angry about it, but it saddens me for their sake. I do wonder whether disinformation coming from POTUS is causing these people to ignore the danger.

Obviously, one can question whether I should have been out at the boat and not staying home, but I didn't come within 50 feet of anyone on my trip to the boat - and rarely do.

Reactions: MastUndSchotbruch

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Simple stuff. Wear gloves. Gloves get contaminated. Take off gloves incorrectly. Contaminate hands. Touch face or an object with contaminated hands. Wash hands touch contaminated object. Bring contamination into house.
It’s really hard to ALWAYS follow protocol exactly. Before taking off gloves wipe them with beach or Lysol (don’t waste hand sanitizer on this) or double glove before leaving your sterile house/apartment. Since being home I’ve has very little time outside the house. Just one trip to restock the house with food. I’ve watched (from >6’) others. If they were interacting with contaminated surfaces they’d be infected. A public service would be to post or broadcast simple protocols as to
How to glove and deglove.
How to wear a mask.
How to cloth yourself to go outside and disrobe upon return.
How to handle packages, mail, wrappings.
How to keep your house surfaces, floors etc. from serving as vectors.
Once there’s a high density of people there’s a higher risk of dealing with risk of contamination. Believe New Yorkers are taking the risks seriously. But unless you have done it for a living it’s real hard to follow protocol on an automatic level. Many don’t have the materials at hand to follow protocol.
Everyone talks about the money the feds are giving out. Only 8.2% is for medical interventions. Be smart to put in 5% to restock Lysol wipes, hand sanitizer, gloves and some masks the general population could access at no or reduced cost. Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Would make up a package based on number of bedrooms (tax roles have that information at a local level) . Local government could do the dispersal. Feds decide what’s needed in the package and have them made up. Figuring out how many people actually live there maybe be heavy sledding do to legalities. So just bypass that knowing there will be some inefficiency. Package contain the key necessaries and instructions. Ring bell. Stand back. Have occupant take package. Check off that house, apartment, cabin or condo. Go back to empty residences or determine if they are unoccupied. Know people will redirect materials to their loved ones or friends with greater need.
This undertaking well may have impact on the pandemic as well as lift spirits and give confidence our government cares about us as people.
Sorry for the ranting.

·
11,803 Posts
The psychological impact shouldn’t be minimized. Good idea.
As this isolation continues this will become more and more of an issue.
Not worried about families with multiple people as much as the loners.
Many older people are loners without spouses.

Hers what I and another family started today . Each community or block should know who there neighbors are and start a phone tree

Sitting outside 6 feet apart talking to eAch other is a good first start. Maybe setting up a time say 6
People could see the neighbors interacting from afar and not feel alone.

Same phone tree could be used to call and just speak/ check up on people on a daily basis.

Today our neighbors and us sat in beach chairs 10 feet apart shooting the ****.

We all agreed afterwards how uplifting it was. Expanded it to two times...11 and 6. Social distances must be maintained.

·
11,803 Posts
Question which came up at our get together.
Any info on the virus being transmitted by family pets.
Hard not to pet the neighbors dog😮

·
Master Mariner
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
No wonder you're irritable. I would be too.
I've spent longer at sea than this and none of us got "irritable"! I'm guessing you'd not be good company at sea.

Reactions: sharkbait

·
CF Escapee
112 Posts
This thread has been refreshingly devoid of argument.
Thanks to Mark of Sea Life and everybody else !

BTW, Spain is really hurting. They have decided to remove ventilators from anyone over 65 and give them to younger victims.
The people who have had the ventilators removed have been given a sedative, and left to die. Alone.
This doctor is very emotional reporting this story.
https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=CoHqg_1585433922

senormechanico

·
11,803 Posts
Terrible

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Question which came up at our get together.
Any info on the virus being transmitted by family pets.
Hard not to pet the neighbors dog😮
A cat has tested positive for the virus. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cat-belgium-positive-coronavirus_n_5e7f79e4c5b6cb9dc1a145bc

a dog has died from it: https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/first-dog-to-test-positive-for-coronavirus-has-died-in-hong-kong/

Believe the news or not. As my grand mother use to say, don't believe everything you read and only half of what you see. Me? We aren't going to town for at least two weeks, maybe longer. Here in Maryland a nursing home has 66 cases, I suspect mortality will be in the high 80 percent range. I google CDC and Mayo for information. Stay safe and virus free.

·
Boat Bum
446 Posts
Allow me to quote Edward Abbey,

"I've never been in a situation so bad that a cop couldn't make it worse."

Never invite the man into your life, what the hell are you thinking?

41 - 59 of 59 Posts