SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mainsail sliders (in particular 4 carets that are installed on the end of battens) started getting stuck in the mast track, and sail is becoming pretty tough to pull down.

I am guessing some sort of a wax would help them move, but what is the best type of product to use?

·
Registered
991 Posts
I don't think that beeswax would hurt. Would be hard to apply though, try some silicone spray, or spray lube.

·
Tartan 37C
501 Posts
McLube Sailkote is the easy to apply high-tech, high performance dry lubricant that makes sails, hulls, rigging, deck hardware, and anything that moves on your boat run smoother, work more efficiently and last longer than you ever thought possible. Sailkote is the only dry lubricant currently available that has been specifically designed for marine use.

Sailkote is a translucent liquid that sprays or wipes on and completely dries in seconds. So, unlike oils, silicones, and waxes, it will never attract dirt, water and contaminants that eventually degrade lubrication performance. The same dry lubricant technology that has been developed for, and race proven by America's Cup Teams, Olympics Medalists, and One Design World Champions.

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One bottle of McLube Sailkote going into the next order.

I also called Mack Sails who made my main, and they will send me a bunch of different bases for track slides to see if other bases will work better. These guys are really excellent to deal with :)

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow, Sailkote is at this point a little cheaper on West Marine website than it is on Defender. The sky is falling!

I guess I'll check the store tomorrow.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'll chime in here as well and say that stuff works awesome. A can of it came on my new to me boat when I bought her 2 years ago and just last month when I took her out for the first sail, I sprayed this on the sail track and all the sail slides. Even now a month later when I release that halyard to drop the main - it falls down as if it isn't even connected to the mast. That coupled with my Dutchman system makes dropping the main a pleasure. On my friends boat he has to literally pull the main down when he releases the halyard. So this stuff is def great to get.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
But... First make sure the slot is clean

My mainsail sliders (in particular 4 carets that are installed on the end of battens) started getting stuck in the mast track, and sail is becoming pretty tough to pull down.

I am guessing some sort of a wax would help them move, but what is the best type of product to use?
Early in the year that is a common problem, and it is commonly wasps, spiders, and cocoons. I have had that problem a few times, and the cure was a trip up the mast with a bottle brush and hose.

The reason Sailcote is best, or one of the reasons, is that it does not atracct dirt, which is the main problem in a track.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I agree with all the people above McLube Sailkote is great stuff.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Clean the slug slot first... :) then use McLube SailKote.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have used Elmers "slide all" which was the top pick in a Practical Sailor review.I have used Mclube in the past but the Elmers seems to work just as well ,was cheaper and available at hardware stores

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The sail slot is clean - it's essentially a round "intrusion" over an 1" in diameter, so there isn't any way for dirt to be in there (plus I had the mast cleaned before it went up).

So, I went up the mast today and sprayed Sailkote in the track and also on the sliders (well, it was windy and I wussed out so I only went above the spreaders). In any case - what a difference this made. I'll have to go up again when it is a bit more calm and spray the track all the way to the top - but this thing is amazing!

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Sailkote is not Teflon! It is a mixture of white paraffin wax doped with Dupont Krytox, which is a great-grandson of Teflon. Krytox is damned expensive stuff, a good lubricant which simply doesn't break down under extremes (-70F to 700F, sulphur, chlorine, oyxgen impervious, etc.) but they mix it in with white paraffin because the wax disperses it and keeps the cost way down, compared to the pure stuff.

Your best best is to first CLEAN THE SAIL TRACK, nothing will help more than that. Often you can find a foot of rope or dock line that can be jammed into the track with an uphaul and downhaul, run it up and down a few times to clean out the crud. (Or a rolled rag, whatever fits snugly in the track.) You may want to soak that in kerosene or WD40 or soapy water to help it get going.

After the track has been cleaned--use the Sailkote. There are also similar products sold in bicycle stores as chain lubes, same ingredients for the same reasons since the wax+krytox also won't stain white sails--or pant legs.<G>

The wax eventually wears away pretty much clean, without trapping more dirt the way a grease product would.

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sailkote is the real stuff! Thanks guys!

My sail now comes falling down right away as soon as I let go of the halyard, no tugging needed!
Just in case I plan to reapply it to sliders at least every few weeks (and to a track may be a few times a season).

·
Registered
136 Posts
I gotta get some of this stuff.. my feet come off the deck I have to pull the main down so hard (and up so hard )

1 - 20 of 20 Posts