SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
It may take a little time to pare it down but I'd suggest only having on board what you need for YOUR boat.
My tool kit is pretty small, only has the wrenches, sockets and screwdrivers etc I need to fit everything on my boat. By the time you add in spares, stuff for electrical work and what not it still adds up.
I know far too many people who keep the entire socket set or combi wrench set on board and never use 95% of what is there, just turns into expensive rust.
Unless you are one of those guys who enjoy having every tool on hand, being the guy everybody borrows tools from, then have to ask to get them back....

·
11,737 Posts
Impeller
2 fuel filters
Briefcase with small spools of #14'12,19 and 8 wire, crimpers, butt ends and heat wraps, dlectric grease, amp/ volt tester
Rigging tape
Sail repair tape
Spare shackles
Cotter pins
Wire rings
Spare anchor
Winch handle
Emergency tiller
Bolt cutter
Joker. Valve
Oil absorb sheets
Smaa gauge line like flag halyard
Paper clips
Bungee Cords
Webbbg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Reactions: Jrthomus

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
If anyone buys a jillion pieces of the cheapest chinese tools from Horror Fright or elsewhere, they'd best also buy a couple gallons of cheap mineral oil to store them in. Because salt air will turn those tools back into rusty iron ore in short order. Quite reliably. Especially the working bits in a ratchet handle, but even the hinge on a pair of pliers.

Clear mineral oil in a clear glass jar makes it much easier to see which tools you're grabbing around for, without having to dump them all out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I would like to thank everybody for their input, you have given me a lot of very useful information.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I was working on my boat one day and thought, "wouldn't it be great if somebody made a ratcheting box wrench?" Whenever I think that I've just come up with the idea that will make me rich, the next thought that occurs to me is, "well if I thought of it, somebody else is already making it." Lucky for me, there is a Lowe's near my marina; sure enough, they carry ratcheting box wrenches. I find them very useful in tight spots.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
I Picked up a nice DeWalt.....
The Dewalt brand, like Porter Cable, Proto, MAC, Craftsman, Irwin, Lenox, Bostich, and some other respected brands with good reps are all under Stanley Black and Decker.

As the the world turns...changes...

Northern Tool is another outlet for less expensive stuff...maybe a couple of steps above Harbor.

They all have warranties - easy exchange - but are kinda worthless and meaningless you you are 'away'.

Learn what you need...for every fastener/job on the boat.

You may be surprised at how few tools you actually need for reg maintenance.

It's learned by individual owner over time.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Impeller
2 fuel filters
Briefcase with small spools of #14'12,19 and 8 wire, crimpers, butt ends and heat wraps, dlectric grease, amp/ volt tester
Rigging tape
Sail repair tape
Spare shackles
Cotter pins
Wire rings
Spare anchor
Winch handle
Emergency tiller
Bolt cutter
Joker. Valve
Oil absorb sheets
Smaa gauge line like flag halyard
Paper clips
Bungee Cords
Webbbg
spares are not tools

·
11,737 Posts
spares are not tools
Absolutely correct......and your point is????????????

Riddle me this....some suggest wire nuts, some suggest led headlamp....many on the thread suggest items which to only the obtuse would find fault with

You however decide that my post is the only one to chide with your comment......why is that?

Police your own yard. Try and be positive with your comments. Encourage people to share instead of going after them Keep the negativity and criticisms to yourself

·
3,506 Posts
I have a few SPARE 5/16, 3/8 and 9/16 combo wrenches....

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Absolutely correct......and your point is????????????

Riddle me this....some suggest wire nuts, some suggest led headlamp....many on the thread suggest items which to only the obtuse would find fault with

You however decide that my post is the only one to chide with your comment......why is that?

Police your own yard. Try and be positive with your comments. Encourage people to share instead of going after them Keep the negativity and criticisms to yourself
I am not policing anything. Chill out. You set forth a laundry list of spares and nary a tool. The OP asked for tools you didn't provide any tools IIRC. I think you missed the point of what the OP was after.

Spares are very important.. and that is a topic for another thread.

One could argue whether tape or 5200 is a tool or not. I think of tools as mechanical devices that do work or a task:

Definition of tool
a : a handheld device that aids in accomplishing a task

·
Registered
409 Posts

·
11,737 Posts
I am not policing anything. Chill out. You set forth a laundry list of spares and nary a tool. The OP asked for tools you didn't provide any tools IIRC. I think you missed the point of what the OP was after.

One could argue whether tape or 5200 is a tool or not. I think of tools as mechanical devices that do work or a task:

Definition of tool
a : a handheld device that aids in accomplishing a task[/QUOTE

Or

anything used as a means of accomplishing a task or purpose:
Education is a tool for success.

Or

The most common use is to describe someone (usually a guy) who is too stupid to know he's being used (he is literally a tool for someone else). Probably the second most common use is for someone who's just an idiot or screw-up.

There are quite a few definitions I think. I understood what the OP was looking for and expanded a little

Tool :Tool | Define Tool at Dictionary.com

·
Registered
4,901 Posts

Definition of tool
a : a handheld device that aids in accomplishing a task[/QUOTE

Or

anything used as a means of accomplishing a task or purpose:
Education is a tool for success.

Or

The most common use is to describe someone (usually a guy) who is too stupid to know he's being used (he is literally a tool for someone else). Probably the second most common use is for someone who's just an idiot or screw-up.

There are quite a few definitions I think. I understood what the OP was looking for and expanded a little

Tool :Tool | Define Tool at Dictionary.com
this is silly... not worth tit for tat... done

·
al brazzi
2,076 Posts
My two favorite tools right now are Sears Handi-cut tool, nothing better for cutting line, and a spare antenna (screw base ) about 4' long with a little ball on the end. It has proved invaluable for fishing wires around the Boat its only long enough to reach through the tight spots. I have so many dedicated Boat tools I keep the heavy seldom used in the dock box.

Don't pass a fishtape to the main panel, it will be live. Should have pointed that out first.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Gentlemen,
"However I've not worked on sailboats and found myself wondering what could go wrong and what do I need to fix it." Dudes! Can't believe you guys didn't catch that! What could go wrong? Anything and everything! Never ceases to amaze me what can go wrong. Used to annoy me, now I'm like, Hey, another challenge. Happened just today, again. Ditto on the better tools. LOL! Kevin

21 - 40 of 44 Posts