SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 26' sailboat I've got an anchor locker under the deck by the bow, but no access to it on the deck via hatch or hawsepipe. The only way to pass line up would be to run the rode up through the hatch: not convenient and messy.

Now I simply stow and deploy a lunch hook from a bag that I keep in the lazarette. Hardly seems worth modding the boat in any way. So is this an "anchor locker" in name only?

·
Sailor
931 Posts
What kind of boat is this? Can you describe this locker? How do yo a access it? Does it have a drain at the bottom leading overboard? If not, maybe it's designed purpose is simply storage and not for the anchor. If it does, you can either put in a hawse pipe to feed the rode and chain down while you store the anchor on deck or put in an opening hatch for deck access.

Tod

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's described as an anchor rode locker, see pic:

I haven't crawled in to confirm, but there appears to be a drain hole in the hull at the peak - can't imagine what it would be for if not for the anchor locker.

·
Sailor
931 Posts
I assume it is that small triangular cover at the forward ind of the V berth that you are talking about. I think it is just as described, an anchor RODE locker as it doesn't seem big enough for an anchor. I would buy a hawse pipe with cover that allows for chain and rode to protrude as it is closed and store your rode in there. What kind of anchor do you have? A Danforths or Fortress style could hand from a holder on the pulpit or a plow type can be stored on a roller you install (using backing plates).

Tod

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, it's a Fortress anchor, and the boat has a roller already, which I've never used as I just tie off the rode on a cleat.

Wonder, still, why they'd put in a rode locker with a means to get the rode to the deck. Thanks for the input, though.

·
Sailor
931 Posts
You can probably store the anchor on the roller, properly lashed down of course.

It is amazing that they set everything up but don't include a proper way to access the rode locker.

Tod

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
Most older boats are set up like that. There is a chain/rope locker forward of the v-berth, with a access door in the bulkhead. The chain/rope goes up to the deck via a hawsepipe, or in the case of many boats (like mine) via a vent cowling. The anchor is either stored on deck, on a bow roller, or in a cockpit storage locker/lazaret and shackled on and off each time it is used.

I keep the anchor on my boat in a 5-gallon bucket, attached to its chain/rode (and a secondary/back-up anchor stored the same way), and just schlep it forward when needed. The chain locker has a shore power cord, but is otherwise just wasted space. I've been thinking of installing some sort of deck hatch so that I have better access to the space. If I do get around to installing such a hatch, I probably will just store extra dock lines, fenders, and other light stuff in there; keeping the weight of the anchor and rode stored further aft, where it won't do as much harm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts