SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No flip-flops or Tevas. We all wear those in the summer.

No "there is no winter here" cracks. A waste of electrons.

No "multihulls don't get wet." Mostly true, but it does rain... Everywhere.

In the past, if it was cold and wet, I would wear Gore-Tex sneakers with neoprene socks. Boots always seemed clunky, and I have always had fairly dry boats... except when it rains. I also generally avoided sailing in the rain. Now I'm looking for something better that fits like a shoe.

But all experiences are welcome.

Except for "there is no winter here."

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
Winter? what is that?

oh, not supposed to say that!

I bought a pair of Sperry Fathom Boats a year ago, used a number of time with poly style socks. So far stay warm, grab the deck well etc. down to 30f temps.

I also use Sperry Gradiants in the summer, even if it is wet out, and appropriate poly style socks, sometimes just footy socks.

Marty

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts
Warm wet weather? Keens sandals, superior toe protection and great drainage. :p

·
Registered
702 Posts
I use merrels on the windjammer similar to keens and super comfortable only warm weather though.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Believe it or not, if it's raining I wear crocks, if it's just really cold I wear uggs, sailing I wear Sanuks or Vans rain or shine wet or dry

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Gotta agree with this... love my keens.. but for colder weather, they just don't cut it. Got some boots for the colder weather rain... A couple different pairs...

Warm wet weather? Keens sandals, superior toe protection and great drainage. :p

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,970 Posts
PNW = rain & cold. I wear Xtra Tuffs and Bogs, depending on temp. (Bogs are neoprene, very warm, but they do occaisionally leave a black scuff mark even though they claim to be non-marking).

·
Grasshopper
908 Posts
I'm going to have to try some of the boots that were mentioned here, because the WM Short Yachting Boots that I have suck if my socks aren't tall enough...the top of the boots rub my skin raw.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've got a pair of Gill dinghy boots that I wear if it's wet, cold or wet and cold. I like them better than most of the other things I've tried.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Even in the warm weather conditions I generally encounter on the Bay, wet feet can be a bummer. An afternoon thudershower just before dark can mean cold feet until you go below and turn in, so unless it is very warm weather I will change out of my deck shoes if it looks like a soaking is imminent. I admit I despise being cold, so I break out the boots when conditions are such that my deck shoes are likely to get soaked. I also have an open transom boat, so in BFS conditions a following wave will sometimes board and soak the helmsmans feet.

I have Sperry Figawis and they are very comfortable for wet/cool condititions but not a cold weather boot.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,169 Posts

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Where whatever you want as far as shoes go. Just put on a pair of sealskinz waterproof socks. Done. I will wear a pair of cotton socks, my seal skinz, and then a pair of Harken vortec shoes (mesh material) in freezing temps, the shoes will be soaked through and my feet are warm and dry. Hard to beat it.

·
not-so-old salt
156 Posts
I got a pair of Dubarry Ultimas and I really like them. I have huge calves and they were the only tall boots that fit me. I wore them daily (at least in the northern latitudes) from CT to Key West in November.

There was no break-in period, never leaked, grip was great on the foredeck, and I never got blisters. I wear a thin liner sock with a smartwool ski sock when it's really cold. This wicks the moisture (sweat) from your feet. Warm dry feet kept me happy.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That was my conclusion too.

Where whatever you want as far as shoes go. Just put on a pair of sealskinz waterproof socks. Done. I will wear a pair of cotton socks, my seal skinz, and then a pair of Harken vortec shoes (mesh material) in freezing temps, the shoes will be soaked through and my feet are warm and dry. Hard to beat it.
If it is dry, just fleece sock. And if it is too cold for that there is ice on deck, and I draw the line there.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Does it have to be fancy? Socks are the determining factor, and I use modern wool - not particularly thick, very smooth, and they have the twin advantages of staying warm while soaking wet, and surpassing most when it comes to smelly boots. Everything else I've tried eventually generates stinking boots. For boots, btw, Musto leather are light, warm and seem to last. I fell in the sea with them once and thought that would be the end, but they've come back up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts