SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're looking for what would be considered a "blue water" boat. We've had our share of good, seaworthy craft, but would really like something that is happiest (secure) in a moderate blow, easy to reef and sea kindly. So far I've been eying; Southern Cross 31-35s, Westsails, Valiant 40s (a little too pricey for us but you get the idea). Our budget is under 50K. And oh ya, not too keen on a saltwater boat, we live closest to L. Michigan (Wisconsin side) and would be sailing the big lake, from one end to the other, in fresh water. What would be some more boats to add to this (small) list?

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
You also want something that can sail decently in lightish winds which is the norm for the Great Lakes in most of the sailing season. My sense would be to have a reasonable SA/D ratio but a boat that you could furl the jib and reef the main quickly when the inevitable squalls come along. These features are not inherent to any particular model, rather they depend on the setup of the particular boat. Judging by the boats you are listing you are looking in the 1980s and there has been lots of time for these boats to be refitted or just gotten old with original equipment.

I had a Niagara 35 that would meet your needs since it is substantial but has a fair amount of sail. Not sure about budget though. There are lots of boats that would do the trick. CS 36T would be another one.

·
19,488 Posts
Along your 'blue water' line you might add the Bayfield 36, but while I realize the lakes get some serious weather I'd think KS's suggestion of a CS36T, or add to that a well maintained C&C 35, Ontario 32, C&C Landfall 35/38 and such like would be more rewarding to sail year round.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts