SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What if one of you were going to retire and could accept an entry level marine industry related job?

It would be an entirely new career path. You don't need the dough, but won't work for free. You have excellent basic mechanical, electrical skills, good physical condition and a professional work ethic/attitude.

The idea would be to generate a supplemental retirement income, spend your time on and/or around the water, meet the people who also enjoy spending their time on the water, be useful, enhance my own marine skills,etc.

Have any "sailnet'ers" wondered about this? What path would you follow?

Thanks,

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
I wonder and sometimes think I took the wrong path in life. My dream, as I reach retirement would be working part time for a wooden boat builder. or least in the woodworking end of boat building.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
A very personal choice - one that I made 6 years ago when I retired and after one year, started working part-time at a local marine facility. I soon realized why I retired - to not work! Despite liking my new job, I quickly found retirement afforded more time to do what I really wanted rather than what my job required. My schedule was my own and my time was unencumbered.

That was 5 years ago and every day still feels like the first day of a vacation and I still get to play boat stuff whenever I want but on my own terms.

It all depends on economics which is a very individual thing.

·
Big Chicken Baby
410 Posts
I'd take the entry level job. I love always having somethnig to do and don't think I am suited to full on retirement. I think it absolutely hinges on your personality- do you like having something to do or are you happiest just kicking back?

·
Registered
846 Posts
I am retired. Worked over 30 years and also enjoyed sailing for 30 years. After leaving professional life, I started my own business. Now I am working as a consultant in the yachting sector. It is a good idea to work professionally in the field of your hobby.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
I retired early, knowing I'd have to work at some point. While I'd prefer something boat related, I took a job at Wal-mart because it was available. Can't wait to re-retire!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I did take job at marina and loved it, but after business tanked last season was laid off and not rehired. I've had an impossible task finding something related to marine business so am in a bit of a quandry.
Good luck.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I would take the job. The only thing that I would add is that I would want it to be a job with flexible hours/days.

·
Saxomaphone Rules!
12 Posts
I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. Not so much for the extra money, but for the experience. Always enjoy learning new things. But I don't think I'll ever get to retire.

·
Registered
134 Posts
sure... entry level job with flexible hours/days... that would be a great gig.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have also visited with the Coast Guard Auxiliary about volunteering there. Have any of you done that?
I like the teaching suggestion, too. Thanks. Maybe getting the U.S. Sailing certifications would be worthwhile. At least I would improve my basic sailing skills.
Thanks for sharing your ideas.

·
SSQ74
41 Posts
Interesting question...one of the biggest problems in many boatyards is steady help, all the yards by me (Dana Point California) would welcome a responsible person with skills, the challenge is too detune yourself and just do the job, a friend of mine tried what you are describing and started as a yard jockey and within a year was running the place...he hated it...

Starting your own business is another intriguing path, but what to do? There are alot of detailers, cleaners, sail repairers, mechanics in my area already so just starting up may be problematic...

I was toying around with a small engine repair shop located close to the marina but also able to service lawn and garden stuff...BUT I HAVE TWO MORE YEARS of out of state tuition to pay and then another 5 years rebuilding the retirement fund before I set sail full time...in the interim I am focused on skill building and evaluating designs for the voyage!

·
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry
609 Posts
We are kind of retired - but we keep running out of money and have to pull in somewhere to work. We have found that if you are upgrading your boat (or just constantly maintaining) working for West Marine (part time or full time) you get fantastic discounts. (For instance I once paid about $6.00 for an item that sells for $29.95) The work isn't hard - but it doesn't pay well. But it's worth it for the discounts.

Working in a marina has some definite advantages, too. Especially if you can use the shops evenings and weekends. And if you can get a discount on materials that's an added advantage. The pay is better than at West Marine, but the work is harder. Especially if you're old like I am. You can gain a lot of knowledge from professionals which you can use when you're out cruising. Many working marinas will hire almost anyone who has some skills, some of his own tools and can be counted on to show up on time and every day.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I retired about 4 1/2 years ago. Even before I retired I realized I wanted out of the rat race. But I am the type who can't just sit in my rocker on the porch. I need things to do. But I don't want to get locked into the job routine. i want to be able to do what I want to, when I want to, and go wher ei want to without encumbrances. So I started a web site about boatbuilding (below my signature) and registered with the Coast Guard as a boat manufacturer. This way I can build a boat or two, and sell them, but I can do it at my pace and my place. So far I have built one, a rowboat, and am starting on another, a small sailboat. I keep my web site up, which I can do from anywhere, and occasionally I take a job I can do at home. For instance, I wrote an article for Pacific Yachting magazine in Vancouver BC. Remember, after all those years working you are probably an expert at what you do, and that can be turned into a few dollars here and there. I also do some work occassionally for ABYC. For that one I had to spend a couple of weeks in Maryland but, 2 weeks is no big deal.

So you have a lot of options to the 9 -5 routine and alternatives to working for some one else. Just think about it. It doesn;t even have to be a money maker. There are a lot of volunteer organizations that need help that don't care about the 9-5 routine.

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
Cars used to be my hobby. Then it was my job. It didn't take long for me to drop cars as a hobby. After working on cars all day long, the last thing I wanted to do was work on my own cars. Watch out, the same thing could happen to you.

·
Registered
134 Posts
What is ABYC ?

I retired 10 years ago. Lasted 7 years, out of necessity I had to return to work. I'd always been my own boss, but I wanted to learn more about engines and I wanted to work outside.
As luck would have it, I found work as a dock master at full service marina. I loved it. The most difficult part of it was working every single weekend in season and not having much control over my schedule. When the downturn came last year, my position went from full time to seasonal only. Then in early March, with their seasonal slip rentals down 35% and the expectation that boat owners were going to find less expensive winter storage in 2009 -2010, a family member is adding my duties to theirs. Their service business also dropped significantly - more than 40%.
It was a great experience and I learned more than I could have imagined. Now I feel confident in handling my own boat's engine and more.
I have no more than basic mechanical skills but I wish I did and I'm tempted to look into some sort of RF training.

I retired about 4 1/2 years ago. Even before I retired I realized I wanted out of the rat race. But I am the type who can't just sit in my rocker on the porch. I need things to do. But I don't want to get locked into the job routine. i want to be able to do what I want to, when I want to, and go wher ei want to without encumbrances. So I started a web site about boatbuilding (below my signature) and registered with the Coast Guard as a boat manufacturer. This way I can build a boat or two, and sell them, but I can do it at my pace and my place. So far I have built one, a rowboat, and am starting on another, a small sailboat. I keep my web site up, which I can do from anywhere, and occasionally I take a job I can do at home. For instance, I wrote an article for Pacific Yachting magazine in Vancouver BC. Remember, after all those years working you are probably an expert at what you do, and that can be turned into a few dollars here and there. I also do some work occassionally for ABYC. For that one I had to spend a couple of weeks in Maryland but, 2 weeks is no big deal.

So you have a lot of options to the 9 -5 routine and alternatives to working for some one else. Just think about it. It doesn;t even have to be a money maker. There are a lot of volunteer organizations that need help that don't care about the 9-5 routine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Tom was in his early 50s, retired and started a second career. However, he just couldn’t seem to get to work on time. Every day, he was five, 10, 15 minutes late.
But, he was a good worker and real sharp, so the boss was in a quandary about how to deal with it. Finally, one day he called Tom into his office for a talk.

“Tom, I have to tell you, I like your work ethic. You do a bang- up job, but your being late so often is quite bothersome.”

“Yes, I know boss and I am working on it.”

“Well good, you are a team player. That’s what I like to hear. It’s odd though, your coming in late. I know you’re retired from the Air Force. What did they say if you came in late there?”

“They said, ‘Good morning, General.’”

- unashamedly copied from Theo Spark (google him)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts