·
Spam, Food of the Seagods
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to call this a whatisit? :confused:

Much different than a whatchamacallit! :rolleyes:

It looks to be a through the hull depth, speed, temp something? :(

Has 2 wires; red and black.

Just curious if someone knows. Looks like it makes a big hole in the bottom of boat, so, I not want to touch it until the boat is out of the water. :eek:

Attachments

·
19,489 Posts
Mostly just scarylookin'........

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,346 Posts
Probably a knotmeter since depth sounders usually are not removable.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hey.. another present/former Shark owner! A special welcome to you. Lots of us here.

David

·
Spam, Food of the Seagods
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

That was on my previously owned boat - a 1973 C&C Shark 24.
Here's a link to the same part. Made by Moore Electronics.
http://www.moorelectronics.com/partsinfo/88-020-104.jpg
Yep, this is in a 1973 Santana 21' back when they made big bulky stuff that requires big holes! :laugher

So, I guess it actually does go through the hull and not shoot through the hull? :hammer

Dang, I hate drilling holes in a boat, especially when it is below the waterline. :mad:

Thanks

·
19,489 Posts
Yep, this is in a 1973 Santana 21' back when they made big bulky stuff that requires big holes! :laugher

So, I guess it actually does go through the hull and not shoot through the hull? :hammer

Dang, I hate drilling holes in a boat, especially when it is below the waterline. :mad:

Thanks
There are few if any knotmeters that do not require a thru-hull fitting.. some sounders can be set up to shoot through the hull (at some cost in range)

Theoretically a Doppler-shift style ultrasonic knotmeter sensing through the hull is possible... and I think some were marketed at one point but AFAIK never really caught on. I suspect the hull thickness near the bottom of the hull is a bit too much in most cases and cored hulls would be worse.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Definitely a knot meter transducer...I have one still in use on my Ranger 23. But mine doesn't look so bad...

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,116 Posts
What ever it was, it seems the bomb techs have delt with it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
whatisit

It looks like an in-hull mounted transducer with no through-hull. I had one years ago with a PVC tube glassed to the hull with a transducer inside immersed in mineral oil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts