SailNet Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to re-paint inside my hull under the cockpit where my battery and other storage is located. Its gray now, but the paint is wearing thin and needs repainting especially where the battery box is mounted. I hate spend $75 quart for polyurethane boat paint just for this area. I don't even have an inboard motor to create heat and oil issues.

Any suggestion from the group?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Although expensive also, I think EPOXY based is the way to go. Even if you don't plan make use of such characteristics, you'll rest assured you have a good hull protection.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've seen people use a good outdoor porch and floor enamal with success. The next time I have to paint those sections that's what I'm going to use.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
I used brightside polyurethane for around $95 a gal. $75 a qt seems high. One gallon did my entire interior.

·
Registered
515 Posts
dutch boy makes a nice one-part polyurethane porch and floor paint that holds up very nicely. I've painted a couple of smaller boats with it, complete hull, trailer launcehd so they never spent more than three straight days in the water at any one time, but I had no complaints, And would not shy away from painting locker interiors with it.

Runs about $20 per gallon, can be picked up in several colors, or in a tint base.

Ken.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
I would go with a one-part polyurethane like Easypoxy. Easy to put on and very durable.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Five years ago I used a polyurethane floor enamel inside hull, lockers, under V berth bed and under the dinnette cushions. My boat lives in a very damp and rainy environment. (Prince William Sound, AK)

It still looks pretty darn good! And it seems to be standing up to mold and mildew as well.

·
Hinterhoeller HR28
163 Posts
Interlux makes Bilgekote for just this purpose.

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
I used Bilgekote and results were pretty good. It is excellent for inside lockers and such.

The Interlux recommended wash to prepare the surface for Bilgekote is mostly kerosene and stinks like hell, though :)

·
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15
172 Posts
Not trying to hijack this thread but... Out of all the paints suggested so far, which (if any) are the least finicky about surface prep? E.g. something that if you get the majority of the dirt swept up (think an older boat), that you can paint over whatever is there and it will bond no matter what.

As opposed to something that requires your surface be spotless and scrubbed down with acetone to a clean-enough-to-eat-off-of surface before the paint will bond.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Marine enamel. Any paint store, any color you want. Most cover in 1 coat, no primer required for many brands. Apply the proper thickness, test with a wet mil gauge. I would still wash down with TSP, or a good wax and grease remover. May not last as long as epoxy, but probably more along the lines of what you were asking for.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not trying to hijack this thread but... Out of all the paints suggested so far, which (if any) are the least finicky about surface prep? E.g. something that if you get the majority of the dirt swept up (think an older boat), that you can paint over whatever is there and it will bond no matter what.

As opposed to something that requires your surface be spotless and scrubbed down with acetone to a clean-enough-to-eat-off-of surface before the paint will bond.
I washed mine out a few weeks ago with simple green and a boat scrubber. There was a ton of dirt and 30 years of whatever down there. I rinsed it a bunch of times and then pumped it all out several times and let it dry. I still have a little dirt lingering here and there. I hate to wash that down with Acetone. What a stink! I'd be high in a few minutes or brain-dead.

I like the idea of the marine enamel. Sound cheap and quick.
I actually have a couple gallons of epoxy garage floor paint in gray that is unopened but several years old. I'm not sure if it has a shelf life or not. I worry about mixing large quantities of epoxy paint and the mess involved.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have had very good results with Benjamin Moore M22 urethane alkyd industrial paint. It is very similar to Brightsides in chemical composition. I used it on the interior and the hull and was very pleased. At $24 a gallon too! They even can tint it any color you want... how about hot pink?

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
When we first got our slip, our diver found a fiber glass 3 step boarding stair sitting on the bottom, he brought it up covered with growth, I scaped it clean & smooth and used Krylon Fusion spray paint ( 2 coats ) it came out looking excellent, smooth and glossy, no sanding and no primer, neighbor's using it for now ( just had a baby ) but after a year in weather it still looks good

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
If the lockers are ones that will be exposed to a lot of water, for extended periods of time, I'd highly recommend using Interprotect 2000E instead of any paint.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts