SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used to be that when you pointed out that a passing boats wake was bigger than it should be with a hand-point and a slow-down motion, the captain would look back at his wake in horror and immediately slow down and sheepishly appologize.

Friday I was out to the boat, it's tied to a floating dock-style mooring, and I left my wooden, home made dink tied on the other side of the dock. Within 20 minutes, I had 4 (FOUR) boats pass my dock with wakes bigger than 1 foot (this is in the inner Milford harbor, a no wake zone). Each time I pointed to the wake and made the please slow down motion, I received a response but not the one I expected. The first boat ignored me even though I shouted loud enough for someone 100 yds away to hear (he yealled at the passing boat too, to no avail). The next three all exhibited some degree of indignation at being pointed out, though they did slow down. One of these was a 10' Boston Whaler with a captain approaching 300lbs, 2 kids and the admiral - I seriously doubt that they had PFD's on board. They have their own power boat moored in the harbor and should really have known better. His Admiral even went so far as to thank me and wish me a good night in a very condesending tone.

In each of the cases I pointed out that it was their responsibility to mind their wake and that they were trashing my dink against the dock. At no time was I out of line or threatining in my dialogue with these drivers but got (for the most part) ATITUDE in return.

The mounting of a 50 cal. on the foredeck came to mind :D but short of that (I only have a 26' sailboat and like/need an open foredeck) how do others respond to this type of behavior? In future, I think I'm going to start taking reg. numbers down as they pass and simply call the harbor master and/or GC.

Hope it stops raining soon . . . .

john

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
It's those damn baby boomers! All that peace, free love, and no rules stuff. Just stickin' it to the man!

Now us younger whippersnappers are far more kind and gentle - with a reverent appreciation of the rules...and of course those people that want to mount a .50 cal on their foredeck.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Face it, some people are just jerks...'the rules apply to everyone but me.' I live across the street from a guy like that. He likes to operate heavy earth-moving equipment on Sunday mornings before 8 AM. :hothead It's sad that the children in that boat got such a terrible lesson in behavior from their father.:(

Maybe a small cannon or mortar will work. Might take up less room than a .50 cal, and it'll make a bigger hole in his boat.:gunner

·
Apropos of Nothing
1,736 Posts
I've been working on designs for keel-mounted mini-torpedoes. The problem has been that once I mount them, I kinda like the additional ballast and I'm hesitant to fire them.

·
Vikingsailor
200 Posts
Take pictures and write down NUMBERs
Then...present them with a bill for any damages. Legally, they would have to pay.

Get those pics...though...evidence.

It is sad that common courtesy is no longer common.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Video is far better as evidence... and then send a copy of the video to the local harbormaster....

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Really the only way to avoid situations and people like that is to spend most of your time in the middle of the ocean.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts