SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am stripping all of the 27 yrs of bottompaint off and will be applying several coats of new...except this time i want to put a faster bottom on her and was curious to what yall suggest?? lancer 36

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
It depends... do you keep the boat in the water or not?

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,113 Posts
Racers like hard paints like VC17 or Baltoplate.

Note that the bottom paint wont be any faster than the quality of the bottom prep underneath the paint. if you you don't spend 5-10 full days fairing the bottom with microballoon filler and a long board, don't bother with a hard bottom paint, just roll on some ablative stuff and go sailing...more slowly.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
SF brings up a good point... how fair is the bottom of your boat. If you do fair with a microballoon filler, coat it with a skim coat of unthickened epoxy, otherwise, the microballoons that are sanded can absorb water. :)

Since you're bringing it down to the bare hull, you might want to barrier coat it at this time while you're at it.

A good hard modified epoxy paint is probably your best bet, since you can sand it very smooth for racing...

However, IMHO, it won't matter too much, since you're on a full-displacement monohulll. :) If you really wanted speed, you'd be on a multihull....

bad dog.... bad, bad dog... :p:)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Bottom paints tend to behave differenty in different areas. Ask the racers in your area what they use and how they like. Your best bet will probably be to go with thier consensus.

I use Baltoplate and like it. However, note that none of these paints are going to be as effective as the cruising alternatives at keeping growth off; you will have to regularly clean your bottom.

·
Registered
50 Posts
How often is regular?

you will have to regularly clean your bottom.
At Jason, I am considering switching from ablative bottom paint to try to better performance. But would like to ask how often does it have to be cleaned underwater?

Mike

·
1,000 Posts
NOLA..thanks for the link..

we use an old fishing net with a line tied on both ends..tyhe ropes go up the and up the hull on each side to a person on each side standing on the deck

then one pulls the other one lets go a little ,and both move back and forth like a saw, and walk back

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for d advice Jason and Alex. -Jason can you operate the dri diver from your own boat? Also the rope and net method can be done up to the keel only? Will any of the methods clean the keel?
I am not a serious racer but appreciate good performance.
Thanks Mike

·
1,000 Posts
did you ever talk to the guys at Enemalta?

I miss Malta so much...left wonderfull frineds there...and I remeber going to to a cliff (where they found the great white), and eat Hobbz bis zeit.(mispelled)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah, Spiru Grima is still there where u left him:) The place you went for Hobz biz Zejt is Zurrieq. I didn't manage to locate the other 2 guys you mentioned. Still hope u make the Middle sea race next year.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts