SailNet Community banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Do you have to dive if your draft is only 18 inches?

I wipe my bottom with a sponge while standing next to the boat.

Guys, don't go there, keep the thread on topic :)

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Chuckles... you set yourself up... I'm surprised Hog hasn't nailed you for that... :)
Do you have to dive if your draft is only 18 inches?

I wipe my bottom with a sponge while standing next to the boat.

Guys, don't go there, keep the thread on topic :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
The method Gui proposes works well and it does clean the keel. In fact, there's a commercial product that does the same thing (EZ Diver, or something).

The negative is that it takes two people and is a bit cumbersome. I like the Dri Diver because I can do it myself or, if we're prepping the boat to race, hand it off to a newbie crew who may not know how to rig the boat.

As for the keel issue - for me the keel does not accumulate growth nearly as quickly as hull nearer the waterline and along the rudder. I can clean my transom hung rudder with the deck brush and the rest of the hull with the Dri Diver. For the keel, it takes getting in the water, but a scrub every six weeks or so keeps it pretty slick. I can clean my keel by free diving.

Gui's Penguin paint may be a good paint. I've seen videos of Penguins and it looks like they move through the water very well. I had no idea Gui painted them though... Seriously - bottom paint behaves differently in different regions, so I'll say again, go with what the majority of the successful racers in your area are using.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts