·
Registered
Allied
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Rocna
Rocna
Rocna
It sounds like fellow sailors agree regarding Rocna! Sounds like it must do well with most bottom features and holding types. Is that accurate from your experience? What makes it such a great upgrade?

·
12,165 Posts
Don’t get me wrong I like my AP. But a 4 hour sail doesn’t require it. I physically like and crave the feel of the water and the tug through the wheel.

Yes the boat sails using it. It also sails without one so I don’t subscribe to the extra crewman analogy.

To me leaving the dock and going straight to autopilot or a course laid in is tantamount to playing a video game. The day I do that I give up Haleakula. I don’t discount its use, especially on trips, voyages, etc. I sail using electronics as aids, I don’t electronically sail.

·
12,165 Posts
It sounds like fellow sailors agree regarding Rocna! Sounds like it must do well with most bottom features and holding types. Is that accurate from your experience? What makes it such a great upgrade?
I was one of the first users of a New Gen Anchor in our club/ marina 15 years ago. There are others now, ( Manson and Mantus) . Ours is actually one of the original New Zealand made ones. Their are many anchor threads you should read to find out why they are so popularly used. No need to repeat or start here . Anchor threads can be quite popularly contentious. This thread is not about it and we shouldn’t purposely drift it. Feel free to start a separate thread if there is not enough info in the old threds😀

Reactions: vessel

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
It is more a current generation anchor thing rather than a Rocna specific thing. If upgrading from an older generation anchor to a new generation one, you will find it a large step up in anchoring performance. We have both a Rocna and a Spade, and they are overall equivalent. The Rocna does better in grass, and the Spade sinks deeper in soft bottoms. I don't think you will find any substantial difference with a Manson Supreme or a Mantus. There are other current generation types also which perform better than the older ones.

Mark

·
Registered
Allied
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I was one of the first users of a New Gen Anchor in our club/ marina 15 years ago. There are others now, ( Manson and Mantus) . Ours is actually one of the original New Zealand made ones. Their are many anchor threads you should read to find out why they are so popularly used. No need to repeat or start here . Anchor threads can be quite popularly contentious. This thread is not about it and we shouldn’t purposely drift it. Feel free to start a separate thread if there is not enough info in the old threds😀
Good point regarding thread. I'll look around regarding anchors, specifically. :) We use a CQR.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I just looked at your website. Your beard in your avatar is much shorter now! Did it take hedge clippers to get to there? :D That was an impressive old salty sea man you had.

Mark

·
Old soul
4,546 Posts
Good point regarding thread. I'll look around regarding anchors, specifically. :) We use a CQR.
As mentioned, the newer style anchors are all similar in performance (in my opinion). Some do better in specific conditions vs others, but as a general bower anchor, I consider them all about the same.

So get one that fits your existing roller and pocketbook. Any will be much better than your old CQR

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
As mentioned, the newer style anchors are all similar in performance (in my opinion). Some do better in specific conditions vs others, but as a general bower anchor, I consider them all about the same.

So get one that fits your existing roller and pocketbook. Any will be much better than your old CQR
They may be better in certain conditions. Hard for me to say. I've been using the original CQR successfully since '85 including living on the hook for 4 years. Had I been dragging and so on... I would have changed anchors. I will replace the CQR with a nextgen when this one gets too rusty looking. Fitting is an issue.

·
12,165 Posts
Yes I agree all the “New Gen” are pretty similar. We have a taken apart Mantus as our backup.

Jeff, I too had a CQR for 20 years. At the time it was a good anchor. Just because it worked does mean it’s the best currently available. From my own personal, as well as many others these anchors are a step in a positive manner as far as holding and resetting.

Anchors are part of safety equipment. My 16 years of use of our Rocna tells be the anchor grabs 95% of the time when it is lowered with any engine assist. In an engine failure that’s a great comfort to know . I’ve seen CQRs skip across the bottom and not reset easily when lifted up. I had one before our Rocna.

·
Old soul
4,546 Posts
They may be better in certain conditions. Hard for me to say. I've been using the original CQR successfully since '85 including living on the hook for 4 years. Had I been dragging and so on... I would have changed anchors. I will replace the CQR with a nextgen when this one gets too rusty looking. Fitting is an issue.
I sailed with a CQR as my main bower for a decade. Certainly they work. The newer anchors are simply better in almost every way (except perhaps cost ;)).

·
Barquito
3,500 Posts
I'm surprised nobody has said their composting toilet is their best upgrade. My previous boat had no water, or fancy electronics. My current boat has a bunch of systems that are not working. Every one that I get up-and-running is like a whole new world. Water that drains from the sink to outside the boat, and not onto the cabin floor, yea! Twenty year old radar comes back to life, yea! Traveler that moves, and stays in place, yea! Etc...

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Some feedback for @vessel. One upgrade I won't be doing is using your app. It looked interesting so I downloaded it. But the amount of personal information you require just to get past the registration process is way over the top. Not only the usual name, email, and password (OK, you get my honeypot account like others), but a requirement for a picture, as well as intimate details of the boat is too much. It even appears that you might be tracking the position (of the phone, but I guess that is a proxy for the boat) - although it is difficult to tell since I won't go past the registration. There seems to be no way to get pass this intrusive registration to actually see what the app offers. If one tries to dismiss the registration process, they are just taken back into it and told all the information is required.

I understand the need for boat details in an app designed to track maintenance, parts, etc, and understand if this was personal information stored on my phone only, but to require it for registration to use the app is different. I'm sure you are a good person who would never do anything with that much personal and detail information, but that isn't cool in today's world.

It is definitely possible that I am not interacting with the process correctly, and the above is wrong, but I can't see any way to get past the registration process and into the app without adding all of that information requested.

Mark

·
Administrator
9,051 Posts
It would be hard to say what my favorite upgrade is. My wife would probably say adding a fan at the end of the Vee berth. My list if tied winners would be:
1) My current carbon-technora blend AP #3 jib which has a wind range of 3 to 30 knots and which can win even light air races.

Synergy Jib and Main

2) Moving the control line for the backstay and traveler so I can play it from the helm.
Starboard Traveler control Line and Backstay adjuster ,
3) Running the all of the control lines back to the aft end of the house so I can play them more easily when single-handed.
Cabin top stoppers and riser
4) Mounting the GPS/Chartplotter on a swivel so I can see it from anywhere in the cockpit.
GPS Turntable Mount

5) The Origo stove and oven

Reactions: SanderO

·
Registered
Allied
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
It would be hard to say what my favorite upgrade is. My wife would probably say adding a fan at the end of the Vee berth. My list if tied winners would be:
1) My current carbon-technora blend AP #3 jib which has a wind range of 3 to 30 knots and which can win even light air races.

Synergy Jib and Main

2) Moving the control line for the backstay and traveler so I can play it from the helm.
Starboard Traveler control Line and Backstay adjuster ,
3) Running the all of the control lines back to the aft end of the house so I can play them more easily when single-handed.
Cabin top stoppers and riser
4) Mounting the GPS/Chartplotter on a swivel so I can see it from anywhere in the cockpit.
GPS Turntable Mount

5) The Origo stove and oven
Great upgrades! Thanks for sharing :)

·
Registered
Allied
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
#1 LiFePO4 battery bank
#2 Engine driven and 12V DC refrigeration (best of all worlds)
#3 Espar heat for early spring & fall sailing
I've heard the Espar's are a great addition! They're pretty quiet from what I've experienced on a friend boat. Is that accurate in your experience?

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
I've heard the Espar's are a great addition! They're pretty quiet from what I've experienced on a friend boat. Is that accurate in your experience?
I'll take a stab at this... I am on my second generation of Espar. Older was a D3L and the new one is Airtronic 4. Airtronic4 is more reliable, quieter... can't hear it... and uses less power. I have 3 outlets and it definitely makes Fall use "comfortable". Install is easy. A great upgrade!

61 - 80 of 90 Posts